Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste Fresh water, storage tanks, faucets and fixtures.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #1

Default Tote Tanks

I am thinking of purchasing a tote tank and see there are a couple that warrant further investigation. Does anyone have any feedback or experience using either the Thetford Smart-Tote LX or the Barker 4-Wheelers? I have not decided on what size yet as I am trying to determine brand first.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
sam

Default We have the Barker four wheel.

We don't use it that often. It has held up very well. I like the tapered slim design. Consider what will fit in your tow vehicle. No smell even when full.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #3

Unhappy Tote Tanks

Just a couple of points to consider:

1. Make sure you can use tote tanks where you camp, as many State and Federal campgrounds prohibit the dumping of both gray and black water into their pit and flush toilets.

2. Even if you can dump, they may not have a convenient dump port and you may need a "maceration pump" to elevate the effluent to the toilet or drain pipe level.

3. If you are boondocking off the grid your black water tank should hold you for some time (mine is 35 gallons) and an adapter cap Amazon.com: Valterra Products, Inc. T1020-1 3" Black Termination Cap with Hose Thread Connection your dump port will allow you to use a simple garden hose to dispose of the gray water with a 25 of 50 foot hose that reaches an appropriate leach field. Make sure you don't mix up the fresh water hose and the gray water hose! ;o(

2007-22T TowLite 50th Anniversary
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Crew Cab, Snug Top
NDgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
sam

Default Dumping a portable tote.

In the NY State campgrounds we never had any trouble dumping at the dump station. No macerator pump needed.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote