Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste Fresh water, storage tanks, faucets and fixtures.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #1

Default Valves under cabinet

On our 1995 21' towlite, there are two valves under the cabinet below the sink, and when turnes one way water leaks out underneathe the trailer. What are they for, and in which position should they be kept in? One other thing. How do you clean out the black water tank? In a recent trip, after dumping at the station (15 mins wait), there was still sewage in the line.

Holset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #2

The two valves are drain valves for your water lines - one for the cold water line and the other for the hot water line. My drain valves are located near my water pump. They should be kept in the closed position during your camping season and opened when you are going to winterize the water system. When winterizing the system, open them to drain the lines and then close them again. Otherwise your antifreeze will drain out. As far as your black tank, possibly your trailer was not level when you dumped. I always pour extra water down the toilet before I drain the black tank. This ensures better flow for the contents. Liquid flows better than "mud".

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #3

guessing my 1994 Funlite would be the same? I need to winterize soon.

Harry
wvjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:04 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Our 95 T also had a drain valve under the bed, near the water pump.
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #5

k will look under there too.

Harry
Old 10-14-2010, 07:35 PM   #6

Talking

My 1996 tow lite has the ditto
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:14 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32
Default Winterizing Tip

DO NOT FORGET to take the plug out of the hot water tank, drain the water, BTW I think you should drain the hot water tank, each time you store the camper each trip.

FWIW: DO THIS AFTER YOU SHUT THE PUMP OFF & AFTER YOU RUN THE PRESSURE OFF THE HOT WATER SIDE, LOL DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW THIS!!!. (can you say drowned dog?)

BTW, Mine has bypass valves on the inside side of the camper on the back side of water heater, which makes Winterizing easier, because you will put the antifreeze in your tank, hit pump for a second or 2 (as it tries to fill hot water heater) then you bypass the hot water tank (by turning the 3 valves if you have them), then pump on and run the pink stuff to all of the faucets on hot and cold, don't forget your shower(s) (I thought I saw some hilo's have outside shower, I know one camper I had did).
Old 10-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #8

Not positiive right now but aren't there 2 valves for the bypass? I have seen these inside the cabinet below the counter. I'll be going down tommorrow and will be draining the system then.

Harry
Old 10-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjeepr View Post
Not positiive right now but aren't there 2 valves for the bypass? I have seen these inside the cabinet below the counter. I'll be going down tommorrow and will be draining the system then.

Harry
Yes, 2 valves for bypass. But, in different models, there are several drain valves along the piping from the freshwater supply to the faucets and toilet. They are evidentially in different places on different models and they are not talked about in the manual. I open them to drain all the lines and then close them, before putting in antifreeze.

And, yup! Do drain the hot water tank once pressure is off the system.

- Jack
Old 10-16-2010, 11:29 AM   #10

When I had my 1995 22' HiLo I had to pour the antifreeze into the fresh water tank in order to winterize the water lines. In my current unit, 2001 29', there is a seperate valve and clear vinyl hose by the water pump. I turn the valve and insert the vinyl hose directly into the gallon bottle of antifreeze, turn the pump on and it sucks it out of the bottle. This was a factory setup. I don't know what years or models this setup was installed in. For the first time trailer owners - Use the red/pink rv antifreeze only for your water lines. Do not use the green/yellow automotive type antifreeze in your water lines! The automotive antifreeze is poisonous! It can cause severe health problems and possibly death!
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #11

okay spent the night in the camper and yes there were 3 knobs for bypass @ the hot water tank. 2 going to the tank and one to open up the bypass line. I drained the hot water tank by removing the plug. I then opened the fresh water tank drain outside on the Right front corner. Opened all the faucets and opened the 2 drain cocks in the cabinet below the drawers below the sink/ counter. Now I just need to close all the valve and add antifreeze.

How much RV antifreeze should I use in the fresh water tank and how much in the drains of the bathroom sink, kitchen sink and shower drains? Thanks.

Harry
Old 10-17-2010, 03:29 PM   #12

Smile

When i winter ize my unit i run the fresh water tank dry and then add the pink antifreeze i buy 3 gallons and turn on water pump and run out all faucets and toliets until pink comes out, ( remember to bypass the water heater,after draining tank , shut off valves going to it from fresh water tank. let some pink run into the sink and shower drains that way the drains don't freeze and crack.

Your camper can still be used in the winter , just don't use and water but you can use the toliet by pouring water from another container into the toliet for flushing.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #13

that's what I figured about 3 gallon. Will do that next weekend.

Harry
Old 10-17-2010, 07:39 PM   #14

Quote:
How much RV antifreeze should I use in the fresh water tank and how much in the drains of the bathroom sink, kitchen sink and shower drains? Thanks.

Harry

I installed this winterizer kit. Camco Mfg Inc - Pump Converter Winterizer Kit - Winterizing - Camping World

It saves on using so much antifreeze.
Make sure you read the reviews before you buy one.

1998 21TL
2005 Silverado
Thankful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:50 AM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Quote:

Harry
Mine has 3 valves, you see, there is a hose when bypassing hot water, you have to stop water from going through that hose (forcing it to go through hot tank) then oc course the 2 valves that let water in and out of hot tank. your camper could be different, mine--> they are on the HOT WATER HEATER hoses, right at the tank.