Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste Fresh water, storage tanks, faucets and fixtures.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #1

Default Vent Pipe

The vent pipe in our Hi-Lo's bathroom has a broken flange on it (see attached pictures). There is still enough of the flange that it still works but I do need to fix it.

We're the third owners of our 2201 and the flange was broken when we bought the camper and the fella we bought it from said it was broken when he got it. So, we don't know what caused it to get broken.

The fella we bought the camper from said that disconnecting the top of this vent pipe and pushing it down to the cabinet was one of the things that was necessary to do prior to lowering the Hi-Lo.

It only takes a few seconds to do this task but my question is, are we supposed to lower this vent pipe before letting the trailer down?

I don't see this step mentioned in the owner’s manual and it looks like leaving it disconnected in the lowered position could cause odor issues.

What is the correct answer here?

Neal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vent pipe 1.jpg (37.4 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Vent pipe 2.jpg (39.6 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Vent pipe 3.jpg (48.2 KB, 118 views)

Old 03-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #2

Default Vent pipe

Yes replace the vent pipe. You can order one from H & T or JR interprise in Butler Ohio. The pipe is very easy to replace after you receve the new pipe, take the old pipe pull it up almost all the way to the roof bend it toward you and keep pulling up, it will pull out of the whole. To install the new pipe the end is cut on a 45 makes it easy to slide the new pipe back into the whole by tiping the pipe and pushing it down the whole.

I do unscrew the pipe from the sealing before lowering to prevent braking it.
I sugest you stick a rag in the end of the pipe when it is unscrewed to prevent sewer gas from comming into the trailer. It stinks!!!!!

Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #3

Sam,

Now why didn't I think of that! Often the simple solutions totally escape me, plugging the pipe when it's disconnected would work perfectly.

Sam, will you please post the contact information for H&T in the factory parts thread, here's a link to it, Factory Parts .

That way everyone will have the contact number and any other information that you want to give about H&T.

Thanks Sam,

Neal
Old 04-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal and Bev View Post
The vent pipe in our Hi-Lo's bathroom has a broken flange on it (see attached pictures). There is still enough of the flange that it still works but I do need to fix it.

We're the third owners of our 2201 and the flange was broken when we bought the camper and the fella we bought it from said it was broken when he got it. So, we don't know what caused it to get broken.

The fella we bought the camper from said that disconnecting the top of this vent pipe and pushing it down to the cabinet was one of the things that was necessary to do prior to lowering the Hi-Lo.

It only takes a few seconds to do this task but my question is, are we supposed to lower this vent pipe before letting the trailer down?

I don't see this step mentioned in the owner’s manual and it looks like leaving it disconnected in the lowered position could cause odor issues.

Neal
I had the same problem with my 97 towlite .I replaced my broken pipe, but I found that the roof vent didn't line up with the hole in my counter top causing the flange to snap. I removed the lid of the wardrobe(it was loose any way at the hidges, used shelf angles to support the 1x2 that the hidges attach too) & the small counter ,loosen the vent piping clamps in the wardrobe.Lower the top down with the new pieces installed crawl in and start measuring (I found in my trailer, the vent hole in the counter was 1in. off front to back&3/8in. side to side)After triming the counter top and reinstalling the plastic(so I can use same hole for the vent)With the top raised,Reinstall the counter ,adjust and tighten vent piping clamps , upper plumbing vent & lid of the wardrobe.GOOD LUCK. Les
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:20 AM   #5

campthewestcoast -

I hadn't thought about checking the alignment in the lowered position, it's fine when it's raised. I'll check it this weekend.

Thanks!

Neal
Old 07-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd
Default bathroom wardrobe top realignment

I too have a alignment problem with my stink pipe on my 22l. does anyone know how to correctly remove the wardrobe countertop?
robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #7

Neal and Bev - I have only one thing to add and it is of no help to you. In answer to your question as to why it's not in the manual. The original upper pipe slid up and down inside the lower section so it not part of the lowering procedure.
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

The pipe alignment problem is usually cause by worn out glide blocks, which lets the top half shift.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd
Default pipe alignment

I have new guide blocks,cables, and the new thick black seal(between top and bottom half) and new bottom wood rails if that helps
robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal and Bev View Post

Neal
Not only does the sewer gas stink but it is explosive. Do not leave the pipe open. On my Hi Lo the top pipe slides down into the bottom pipe. The top and bottom pipes must align correctly. The lengths must be correct also. The bottom pipe must be long enough so the top pipe does not strike the bottom of the tank and puncture it. If someone replaced the pipes and got the lengths wrong, or they were misaligned when manufactured,this may be why you were told to lower or remove the top pipe. The union on the top of the bottom pipe on my rv, heightwise is right at the same level as the top of the bottom trailer half. The bottom nut on the union must be tight and the top nut loose enough for the top pipe to slip thru it. The pipe and union are ABS pipe and fittings and available at most lumber/hardware stores. If you needed to replace both top and bottom pipes, the bottom pipe is larger than the top to allow the top pipe to slip into the bottom pipe.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:53 AM   #11

I have a '95 Hi-Lo, and the ent pipe is missing. The threaded flange is still there & in good condition... can I just replace the pipe ONLY? Also, what about finding a thicker walled collapsable pipe (like a dryer hose, but thicker - like a vacuum hose) and attact it to the top, placing it into the hol in the counter below/.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:33 AM   #12

That is a good idea but I'm not sure you can get that much range in stretch and get it to collapse without interference when the top is down. That would be my main concern. Those pipes are available from Web Store - The Official HiLo Trailer Parts & Service
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Michelle,
Check down in the bottom pipe the vent pipe is probably down in there, unless some one removed it. When the top flange breaks completely off, the pipe falls down into the bottom one. You must remove the old one or the new one won't go in.
Be sure to check the glide block on that corner if it is broke or missing it has to be fixed first or the new pipe will bind when going down and the flange will break off.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #14

Default vent pipe

what is the proper procedure for raising and lowering the top with the vent pipe?
IBCAMPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #15

You should not have to do anything with the vent pipe. It telescopes with the trailer.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote