Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd
Default 12v or 6v

which is better, 2 6v deep cycle batteries or 2 12v deep cycle batteries?

robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #2

There are two ways of thinking on this from what I have been told. Two 6 volt batteries can give you more capacity than two 12 volt batteries. But, when you have batteries in series, when one goes down it can take the other battery with it and you will have to replace both. Even with one still good you will only have 6 volts which is worthless to you. With two 12 volt batteries you can loose one and still have the needed 12 volts.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #3

I also remember one of our members trying 6 volts and the batteries being too tall and the battery compartment lid contacted the terminals. I have dual 12 volt deep cycles on my hi-lo and have been pretty happy with them.
Fireballsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
Site Team

I'm happy with my 2, 12V batteries in parallel too. Since I've started using a 1000 W generator to keep them charged, I've never had a problem.

I suppose you could always carry a 12V backup battery along if you adopted the 2, 6V in series approach.

- Jack
Old 10-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #5

In my trailer, the guys building my trailer took up way too much space in the middle of the compartment for me to drop in even another Grp 24 battery.

I'd have to rework the hydralic lines in order to fee up enough space for another Grp 24 battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireballsocal View Post
I also remember one of our members trying 6 volts and the batteries being too tall and the battery compartment lid contacted the terminals. I have dual 12 volt deep cycles on my hi-lo and have been pretty happy with them.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #6

People have re-configured battery boxes and , even, installed new ones on hi-los. Do a search on battery boxes, maybe, to see if you can find the threads. I've been living with two group 24s and i think I could go 27s when these die. I have been messing with solar quite a bit this summer and am leaning towards a 100watt + system that I move around the camp site . So far all I have is a 18w which isn't good enough for extended discharge- but i use hardly any power in summer except for fantastic fan and water pump. I use Dcell lanterns inside and a couple small dcell fans plus I switched to leds for inside lights. For a good quiet generator- I think I can construct a good size solar system for same cost.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

I had to bend the hydraulic line out of the way on my 2209, in order to fit the second battery. I have a 100 watt solar panel, it produces about 5 amps in full bright sun light, I started out moving it around to face the sun but I was afraid to leave it out when I wasn't there for fear it would walk off. Putting it in and out became to much for me to do. We unhook and take trips a lot, fishing and site seeing. I just recently mounted it on the roof, but lying flat the output is not very good, I am going to angle it some but then it will only work when facing the sun. I will have to try and park the trailer the right way. I do have a generator but was trying to get away from using it. The solar panel did supply my needs when I kept it facing the sun all day.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
Site Team

Rich, I had the same experience with a 60 Watt solar panel for my trailer. As long as the sun shone and I could reposition it during the day to track the sun, it maintained the battery. Like you, I didn't want to leave it out when not at the trailer. It became too much trouble and I got a generator.

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote