Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #1

Default 12V problems -1997 Hi-Lo Breeze 2200U

Hey all. First post here... I'm frustrated to no end. Just took the mother-in-laws Hi-Lo out of storage last month and getting it set up for a camping trip. Had it glanced over by an RV shop, and everything worked (except the AC, but we knew that), but the battery was shot.

When raising the top, even on shore power, it was very slow. I was told this was probably due to the near-dead battery. This was confirmed when just running lights and the lift, it would discharge within a minute or two, and I would watch the voltages drop via a multimeter.

So when I replaced the battery the other day (with the exact same deep cycle battery), and it was plugged into shore power, the lift worked great and was fast. However, when I removed the shore power, nothing would run off of 12V. No lights, no lift, not even disengaging the safety latch. If I plug it back into shore power, everythign works.

I checked in the front battery compartment, followed the hot line, reset the tiny button breaker that is usually the culprit... but still nothing. Went in and checked the 12v fuse panel (mine is in the back under the sink), and they are all fine.

One thing I did try, to "rig" it for this weekend, was to clamp my portable 200watt inverter on the battery, and plug in the shore power plug directly in there. To my surprise, the lift and all lights worked off of that little inverter and didn't flip it's breaker. Does anyone know the draw on the lift? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I have ran out of ideas on the 12V problems. Is there another fuse I should be checking, beside the 12V panel in the bathroom and the reset button in the battery compartment? Any input or ideas would be appreciated.

Acidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum! The past few days here have been dominated by electrical problems. You also have a strange problem there. Have you checked the battery voltage to make sure it is getting properly charged, is it 13+ volts when charging and 12.6+ volts after sitting idle at least a few hours after charging?

Added note: The breaker for the lift is 30 amp so I assume the draw is all of that.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the response!

Yes, it is showing 13.3V or so when charging, and around 12.8V or so after sitting overnight with nothing on it. I bought it new last week, put a small battery 2A charger on it, and it was fully charged within 2 hours.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #4

Acidic, I'll not be much help on this issue, but only to tell you that the 200 watt inverter did NOT lift the top. The motor running that hydraulic pump draws many more amps than the inverter will supply.
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #5

If you haven't already, check the lift system cables and the guide rod to make sure they are ok and everything moves freely without binding. The guide rod must be kept cleaned and greased on a regular basis.

Go here:http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...-youtube-1233/ Watch video #34.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 04-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
Added note: The breaker for the lift is 30 amp so I assume the draw is all of that.
30amp for the lift, eh? Then I'm even more confused as to how it ran with the 110V trailer cord plugged through my 200watt inverter, which was clamped onto the same battery.

Essentially, I had the trailer hooked up correctly (I took a picture of the entire compartment before I replaced the battery) like I was ready to go. When hooked up to the 110V power, everything worked great. When I unhook the 110V power, nothing at all worked. I then (while the battery is still fully connected), hooked up a 200Watt inverter directly onto the same battery, and plugged the 110V power into that inverter. If the lift is 30A, there is no way it could have ran through that little 200W inverter without flipping the internal breaker in the inverter, but it ran both the lift AND the lights inside.

That leads me to believe that the lift was still drawing power directly from the battery, yet it can't run the lift without the 110V circuitry.

Again, yea, confusing.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidic View Post
Thanks for the response!

Yes, it is showing 13.3V or so when charging, and around 12.8V or so after sitting overnight with nothing on it. I bought it new last week, put a small battery 2A charger on it, and it was fully charged within 2 hours.
I would start looking for loose or dirty connections, both power and ground sides. Loosen, clean and re-tighten the terminals in battery/pump compartment.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 04-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #8

The lift pump runs only on 12 VDC. So plugging in the trailer to 110 VAC or plugging in the trailer to an inverter connected to the battery should not make a difference under normal circumstances.

The fact that your lift pump only works when connected to 110 VAC sounds like you have an issue with the power converter. It appears that the power converter is acting like a switch for the battery and that battery power is cut off any time the converter is not connected to 110 VAC. As Rich R stated, I would definitely take a look at all the grounds and other connections at the battery, as well as at the power converter.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

I would say your battery is good, as the lift motor draws at least 80 amps, It is an auto type starter motor, there is a break in the current to the inside of the trailer, check inside the battery area for a 12 volt auto type circuit breaker as it may be tripped, there is a little reset button on the bottom. If you reset the breaker , it could be bad, that breaker failed on my 1995. There may also be a fuse to the inside near the battery. When plugged into 110 ac the converter supplies 12 volts to the inside of the trailer, making everything work, including the lift motor starter relay. You need a volt meter, for testing.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRichie77 View Post
I would say your battery is good, as the lift motor draws at least 80 amps, It is an auto type starter motor, there is a break in the current to the inside of the trailer, check inside the battery area for a 12 volt auto type circuit breaker as it may be tripped, there is a little reset button on the bottom. If you reset the breaker , it could be bad, that breaker failed on my 1995. There may also be a fuse to the inside near the battery. When plugged into 110 ac the converter supplies 12 volts to the inside of the trailer, making everything work, including the lift motor starter relay. You need a volt meter, for testing.
I did see the breaker with the little reset button. It did get thrown once, and I reset it. I'll try replacing it and seeing if that could be the problem. Thanks!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRichie77 View Post
Thanks! Got home, jumped across the little reset breaker near the battery, and got power. So looks like after being thrown once, the breaker failed. I'll replace it and see if that solves the problem (pretty sure it will)

Thanks to everyone who posted all the useful advice. This forum rocks!