Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #1

Default 1969 Trailer to TV power cord replacement

Hello All,

Just bought a 1969 hi-lo and it is the same old story with Vintage. The PO said the lights work. I went to pick it up and the umbilical cord is complete dry rotted and wires broken. Any leads on where I can find the coiled pig tail style cord to replace it. Currently there is only a 4 pin plug. However, I think I will make it a 7 way plug so I can add a battery charger and possibly brakes. I can find coiled 7way to 4 way but no 7ways to "raw" end.

I have searched around the internet and I am not finding anything like what is there. I have no idea about Hi-Lo's or popups so not sure if they still use the coiled wire style.

Thanks for any leads anyone can give. It may just be a keyword issue I am having.

Thanks again

Nick

Nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #2

Default 7-pin power cord

Here is a link to one that I just replaced on my HiLo. It is not the pigtail style but not sure if you might be able to use that type or not?

Amazon.com: Conntek ROJ Black 7 Way Plug Inline Trailer Cord: Sports & Outdoors

Also this is a link of the OEM of that cable, Conntek, they may have something there if you do a search for your style? When I was searching for a replacement I was able to find a MFG name on the original and then search for that.

Conntek--Product Description

Hope this helps

Old 06-25-2012, 12:33 AM   #3

Hi Nick,
The coiled DC power cord on our 1969 finally rotted out after many years of service. This was back in 1991, and none of the RV suppliers in the San Diego area had coiled power cords. I ended up finding one at a commercial truck (as in semi tractor / trailers) parts supplier. Very heavy duty, with a totally UV resistant cover, this thing just keeps going and going! After 20 plus years installed, it still coils back to its short retracted size and shows no sign of rotting.
When I bought it, it was finished with two electrical truck plugs and was longer than I needed, and therefore a bit spendy. But time has proven that the price was well worth it!
Additionally, the cord had two more conductors than I needed, so I was able to pair them together to serve as a ground wire for the upper half. Hi-Lo's in thhose days relied on the lift cables to provide the ground ( they used metal pullies back then). This worked well for about 20 years on our rig...until oxidation on the galvinized cables grew heavy enough to act as an insulator.
Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #4

Default cord

Looks like a nice replacement cord. Our 1969 hilo cord has been cut up at least twice, no real coil part left anymore.

Later Tim
69hilo2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1969, electric, power, umbilical cord