Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #1

Default Another generator question

My wife and I purchased a 3000 watt honda knockoff generator. I had planned on mounting it on the rear of our Towlight but had second thoughts after reading Sam's post warning against it due to the frame flexing it can cause. It weighs 65 pounds. I don't know if the flexing is due to larger generators or if any amount of weight is too much. I thought about mounting the spare tire up front to reduce that amount of weight. Any thoughts on that plan of attack?
If not on the rear, I'm not sure where to carry it. If anyone else is using this type of quiet generator, where do stow it during transport? The gas cap vent can be closed with a small lever but I still worry about fumes building up either inside the trailer or in the back of the truck under the cap.
We tried not using the air but it is just to humid for my wife here in Florida. If she's not happy...well, you know the rest . The whole purpose of getting the trailer was so we could travel together with the bulldog and boondock at the many civil war reenactments during the year that I usually attend alone. Also, I have developed Rheumatoid Arthritis over the past two years and being able to get a warm shower and sleep in the cool and less humid air at the end of a long, hot day does wonders for my joints. So you see, it's important, at least to us, to take the generator along. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Towlighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #2

If it were me, I would look into welding on a subframe above your battery box behind the propane tanks that will support the weight of the generator on the tongue. A frame that would still allow you access to the batteries.

Mounting a generator on the back bumper with throw off the tongue weight of the trailer and may cause it to sway.

Les

1997 Tow-lite
2006 Toyota Tacoma

campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #3

Thanks Les. I had actually considered that idea but since I don't have a welder, I was looking for an easier way. This might be the only way to do it safely.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #4

With the top down there is very little space between the top and the tanks. I don't think that will work.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #5

I just went and checked and boy are you ever right Rich. I'm considering a front hitch for the truck and a basket type mount for the generator. I'm just trying to plan for the future when I may not be able to lift it anymore.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #6

After reading about these types of generators on other forums, I'm going to try transporting it inside the trailer. From what I have gathered from the posts I read, as long as I turn off the fuel line valve and let the engine stop by running it out of gas and then close the gas cap vent lever, there should be no fumes to build up inside the trailer. One couple even puts their Honda in the rear of the truck cab for transport and have had no problems. We are taking the Towlight out later this week for a long weekend shakedown trip before our big haul to Pa. in July. I will let you know how things go when we return.