Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:12 PM   #1

Default battery box venting

has anyone built a battery box on the inside of there camper and then vented it out somehow? Im wanting to put at least 2 6 volt deep cycle batteries on board and inside under the dining room seat seems to be the best spot but want to vent them out for any off gassing. not enough room on the tongue and don't want to ad more weight to the tongue either. I know the vent needs to come out the top of the box i also plan on installing a fan inline. but with the top coming down not sure how to go about it.

Bluecarpenter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:50 PM   #2

ok after looking at the wardrobe for hanging cloths at the back end i find the vent that goes out thru the roof. im not going to be using that area for hanging clothes so i would think it would be a good place to put batteries and vent them out thru the vent to the roof. can put a cover over it and seal it so gases will only go up the vent. Any thoughts out there?

Old 05-08-2019, 11:56 PM   #3
Site Team

Some of the older trailers had the battery placement inside I believe. There are a few members who have this kind and they should be the ones to give you advice. It's a bit complicated to vent through the roof, since the top has to move up and down. I'd favor venting through the side of the lower half.

- Jack
Old 05-09-2019, 09:02 AM   #4

Jack, did you put your batterys on the tongue? I assume you have more than one if you have several panels?
Old 05-09-2019, 09:28 AM   #5
Site Team

Yes, Blue. I was able to squeeze two Group 24 sized, 12V, deep cycle batteries in there, connected in parallel. There is not room to fit even one 6V golf cart battery in the battery box. 6V batteries are too tall.

Another member has dropped the battery box in the tongue by welding on new holding straps to get more vertical space. He was then able to fit two 6V batteries in there, connected in series. I'm not a welder, so I haven't tried that mod!

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:32 AM   #6

Well I’ve thought about doing that as like could make a lower battery box but it makes it a little bit lower there in the front in plus as a bit more weight and I am eventually one day I have for 6 V batteries for more run time or at least more storage so it’s not gonna do me any good there I’m probably going to be back to either in the very back with that van and I can add an extra van it’s not that complicated the way it is or put them underneath the seat and then vented out the side kind a like the refrigerator is
Old 05-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #7
Site Team

Blue, the extra battery weight in the tongue is of little consequence if you use a Weight Distributing Hitch (WDH). And, lowering the battery box about 2", which is all that's needed still keeps it well above the tongue jack foot that hangs down.

- Jack
Old 05-09-2019, 08:16 PM   #8

But there doesn’t seem to be enough room to put four batteries on the tongue
Old 05-09-2019, 11:13 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecarpenter22 View Post
But there doesn’t seem to be enough room to put four batteries on the tongue
Not hardly! I think that would be a bit of overkill, actually. One problem with having multiple batteries is that if one fails, it tends to damage the other too. So, you end up buying more than one new battery at a time. And, if you don't think you need to, you do. Multiple batteries need to be all the same brand, model, size, and, the same age to play well together.

- Jack
Old 05-10-2019, 12:50 AM   #10
sam

Default Jack has given you good advice..spot on.

On my 1990 25ft. Classic our battery was installed in the passenger side exterior cubby. The problem was the space didn't have enough clearance to get the battery out without shorting the terminals. DH extended the cables and mounted the battery on the tongue. He used a piece of exterior plywood and bolted to the bar. This gives no interference with raising or lowering.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote