Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #1

Exclamation Battery Not Charging, Almost there but need help

Need some help troubleshooting my battery charging problem. Battery is only 3 months old. Just replaced the charger/converter due to overheating (bad fan). The charger is pushing 13+ V. I followed the lead from the charger to the battery compartment. See the photo. I get 13+ V at the upper lead with the red arrow indicating such. I would expect there to be 13+ V at the lower lead with the other red arrow. Could it be that this component is bad circled in purple? What is that thing called in the purple circle and where can I get one? Your help is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Annotation.jpg (268.4 KB, 27 views)

DancherBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:11 PM   #2

It is called a 12 volt breaker. Most auto parts stores or Rv parts stores or on line will have them. Check to see if there is a small black button on the breaker and if so, is the button pushed in? It is probably a 30 amp breaker and the info should be printed on the breaker. Good luck.

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:59 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I pulled out the one that appears to be the problem. No black button. I notice that there is something rattling inside and there is no continuity between the posts. Hopefully as you say, it's just a matter of heading to the auto parts store. Much appreciated.
DancherBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:04 AM   #4

You probably have an automatic reset breaker since there is no button. It sounds like it is bad if there is a rattle.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:38 AM   #5

Yes...now that I know what it is I was able to look it up online last night and determined that it is an auto reset 12V 30A. Looks like my local auto parts store carries a replacement. Will be heading out today and will replace both of them while I am in there.

I think I am on the right path here. After understanding the wiring, this explains why when my battery is dead, the lift doesn't work. With this breaker being "broken", the lift never gets power, except from the battery. And with it broken, the battery never gets charged from the charger.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:02 PM   #6

Smile

Sure enough. It must have been that bad breaker. Replaced both (as well as the battery cables while I was in there) and I am getting voltage all the way to the battery. I can hear the fan from the charger working now, and I am getting 13+ V at the battery. Just need to let it charge for a while and check the battery again without being connected to shore power, but I am confident it will get charged.

Thanks again for your help.