Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #1

Default battery & winterizing

I've been reading through the posts and can't find exactly what I'm looking for, and our manual doesn't seem to have the answers either.

We have a 1990 Voyager that we have started winterizing for the first time.

The question is about the battery and lowering/raising the top. If we disconnect the battery, how do we lower the top? And next year, with no battery connected, how do we raise the top? When the top is lowered it covers the door to the battery compartment.

I have read a suggestion to leave the cables accessible to be able to use jumper cables, but again, with the top down, all the doors are totally covered.

Thanks!
Gay

zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #2

I believe that you can just connect the AC cord to a power source and the converter will charge the DC circuit so that you can raise and lower the top half, even without the battery connected. Having said that, I make sure that my battery is fully charged and leave it hooked up. The battery seems to have made it through our upstate New York winters with power to easily raise and lower the top.

hootliz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Site Team

Sorry, Hoot, I don't agree. The onboard converter is not able to generate the needed Amperage to power the lift motor. It needs a charged battery in the circuit.

To the OP, you should be able to extend the battery leads in the battery box outside far enough to attach jumper cables, or, connect jumper cables to the battery cables inside the box. Then, you could connect a battery easily to the jumper cables.

- Jack
Old 10-28-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
sam

Default winterizing and battery storage

Here is what we did on our 1990 Classic . The battery was in the passenger outside storage cubby. The clearance was so tight we fried up one battery getting it out. DH got mad and extended the battery cables to go to the a frame. He put a piece of treated lumber to support the battery. The battery sits in a plastic battery box behind the propane tanks. We always take the battery in our house for the winter. It is very easy to hook up again in the spring. We keep the spare tire in or locked cap on our truck. I can't take a picture to show you as the HiLo is under cover for the winter.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Sorry, Hoot, I don't agree. The onboard converter is not able to generate the needed Amperage to power the lift motor. It needs a charged battery in the circuit.

- Jack
Jack, I stand corrected. Thanks.
hootliz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootliz1 View Post
Jack, I stand corrected. Thanks.
It's quite all right. I thought the converter would power the motor too, when I first bought our HiLo. Found out it wouldn't. But, if the battery is quite low, but still in the circuit, then a little help from the converter may make it work.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #7

I used Jack's suggestion last year of making sure the cables were extended enough that I could get to them by opening the front flap of the battery box. That worked well for me. I just pull the front of my truck up near the tongue and hook up heavy duty jumper cables to the trailer cables and we are good to go. During the season I carry two group 27 batteries and have them inserted so I have the positive post on one of them and the negative post on the other both facing the front. So- IF I NEED TO JUMP THEM or check voltage with a meter I can also do that by just opening the forward most flap.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #8

Wink Raising trailer once batteries are removed for winter storage

Simple. You have a manual lift. just open the small flap in the front where the batteries are normally hooked up. Reach in and take the small handle laying in the front, place it in the hole and pump it. That will raise the trailer manually until you can open the lid and install your batteries.

COLLINGWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote