Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:51 PM   #1

Default Beyond 30 Amps

My 2307C comes with a 30 amp max supply. I've popped the circuit breaker on a few occasions when we turned on more than 30 amps in the RV. Usually we have just forgotten to manage our load, and everything gets sorted out. But, there are a couple of recurring situations (wintertime heating and summertime a/c) when there is a high base load for the heating/cooling and I wish I had more than 30 amp max supply.
I thought perhaps I could run a cord from the 15 amp supply of the campground electrical power box (would need a male/male adapter) and plug it into an outside outlet (after pulling the circuit panel fuse for that circuit. The circuit would be isolated from the rest of the RV system and still be protected by the CB in the campground power box.
Anyone see any problems with this idea?

Darryl

camperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:49 PM   #2

It is not a good idea to rely on the campground breaker alone. Moreover, you do not want a live male cord end. If that were to come loose or disconnected at the trailer you can run the risk of electrocuting somebody. If the ground was wet that person would not even need to be in contact with the cord. They could simply be on wet ground energized by the cord.

A better way is to set up a separate 15A service. You can mount a dedicated breaker and rewire some of the electrical outlets to it. Then you can install a 15A power inlet on the outside. Look at the 15A power inlets used to connect a small boat battery charger to shore power.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperD View Post
My 2307C comes with a 30 amp max supply. I've popped the circuit breaker on a few occasions when we turned on more than 30 amps in the RV. Usually we have just forgotten to manage our load, and everything gets sorted out. But, there are a couple of recurring situations (wintertime heating and summertime a/c) when there is a high base load for the heating/cooling and I wish I had more than 30 amp max supply.
I thought perhaps I could run a cord from the 15 amp supply of the campground electrical power box (would need a male/male adapter) and plug it into an outside outlet (after pulling the circuit panel fuse for that circuit. The circuit would be isolated from the rest of the RV system and still be protected by the CB in the campground power box.
Anyone see any problems with this idea?

Darryl
Using a male to male cord is called a Suicide cord for a reason. What happens if someone unplugs the cord from the camper not knowing you rigged up a suicide cord? It may not happen but do you want to take that chance on hurting someone?

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X4 36,000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #4

Any "male/male" adapter is an exceedingly bad idea as was previously stated. I cannot emphasize enough that this is a very, very bad idea.
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:50 PM   #5

Thanks for the safety considerations. It looks like a bad idea. I'll look at installing a separate 15 amp supply as suggested.
This is why I like this forum!
Thanks again,
Darryl
camperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:11 PM   #6

Don't give up yet! While I also am against a suicide connection, there are male receptacles available..... I had an aluminum toy hauler with a 30 amp service and 1 A/C. Obviously, no room for another A/C on the 30 amp service.
What I did was - ordered a male 15 amp receptacle from amazon.com as shown here>>>
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-5278-C...sin=B003ATXIBG and installed it in a dry location and used a 20 amp extension cord to connect it to the 20 amp female in the campground box. It ran a 10,000 btu portable A/C very effectively. I still have this setup even though I no longer have the toy hauler..... Good luck! Bob
Bubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:27 PM   #7

Here are other alternatives to the inlet suggested by Bob:
15 Ampā„¢ | Marinco

I just searched for the part number is Amazon.com and they are both available for less than $20 each.

I still recommend that you protect the circuit with a breaker in the trailer. It should be a dual pole, 15 Amp breaker. This follows the current safety practice for RVs. The reason for a double pole breaker is that you want it to cut both hot and neutral on the incoming power when the breaker trips off.
Find a small surface mount or recessed circuit breaker box and get a breaker for it. You may also use a marine circuit breaker panel with a 15 Amp double pole breaker.

Use stranded wire of the correct gauge. Do not use solid conductor wire. The vibration will eventually fatigue and break the conductor.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:14 PM   #8

More good advice Raul...... My A/C cord had a built-in breaker so another didn't seem needed....... Hopefully "CamperD" will read your comments! Safety is always the best policy!!!! Bob

Bubbie is offline   Reply With Quote