Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:52 PM   #1

Default blinker/taillight LED bulbs for 2008 HiLo Towlite 15'

Anyone know of a source for LED bulbs for tail lights/turn signals? They are different from the interior lights in that they have 2 contacts instead of one. I'd like to replace our trailer's lights.

hiloduffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:26 PM   #2
Site Team

You need 1157 equivalent bulbs, I believe. I replaced my trailer's brake/turn/tail lights with two of these from SuperBrightLEDs. I just looked and would recommend these: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more.../attributes/13

You COULD get larger/brighter ones, but I think these would be fine.

You want the RED ones, if you get white, they will actually be dimmer when seen through the red lens of your light housing because the lens filters (stops) all the light except for the red wavelengths.

I like SuperBrightLEDs, because they give full specs on their products, so you know what you're getting. They will also replace any that are faulty free of charge (I had them replace an interior light for this reason).

You won't need any "hyperflash" correction for trailer lights, so don't buy that.

- Jack

Old 08-21-2016, 05:34 PM   #3

Thanks, Jack. I've replaced all of the interior lights, but thought this might be something that would help with visibility. Can you give me an idea regarding that? I checked the "red" as suggested.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:55 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiloduffer View Post
Thanks, Jack. I've replaced all of the interior lights, but thought this might be something that would help with visibility. Can you give me an idea regarding that? I checked the "red" as suggested.
Yes, I think they are MORE visible than the stock incandescent bulbs that came on your trailer. I'm pretty sure too, that the ones I recommended to you are brighter than the ones I have on my trailer, which I got about 3-4 years ago.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:04 PM   #5

This may seem minor but the LED lights illuminate instantaneously which is faster than incandescent bulbs that have to warm up to full power. In a braking situation the following driver has a split second more time to react.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:04 PM   #6

Again, thanks. You're right about the LEDs being instant instead of having to warm up. I have replaced ALL the lights in our 2200 sq. ft. home w/LEDs and not only are they brighter, they'll last longer AND they knocked $40 off my electric bill the first month!! Since we like them so much in the house, I wanted them in the HiLo (a/k/a "Shrimp"). As soon as the regular ones come in next week, I'll be replacing all the ones in the 28' HiLo (a/k/a "Duffer") as well. They make a tremendous difference in Shrimp! We're pulling Shrimp to Oregon for a couple of weeks in the next month or so. Boss didn't want to pull Duffer this time. HAPPY HiLoing!
Old 08-21-2016, 09:55 PM   #7

We used the Dorman Conduct-Tite - LED Bulb Part # 1157R-SMD available from a couple of different local auto parts stores. They seem to work just fine, and are bright enough to be visible in bright sun. They are about $22 per bulb.
underpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:08 PM   #8

I suspect that Useless sent the response - regardless, thanks. I'm looking for all the information I can get, but intend to make the change.
P.S. Love that name - we have two useless daschunds (according to my hubby)!
Old 08-21-2016, 11:52 PM   #9
Site Team

I'm sticking with my SuperBrightLEDs recommendation. They give you complete specs on nearly every bulb they sell. Their prices are reasonable, they ship quickly and they stand behind their products.

One more thing. Make sure any bulb you buy is an SMD/SMT (Surface Mount) bulb. They are the brightest, and they last the longest. Stay away from the kind that look like they are in little plastic "domes". You want the kind that are "flat" squares like the ones you see in the link I gave you.

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote