Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
mnb

Default breaker size

I have a 83 hi lo and I and needing to replace the in line automatic breaker. The breaker is feed off of the positive post of the solenoid. There is just the one wire that that runs to the breaker and then two are coming out. One goes to the converter and the other elsewhere. Does anyone know, because I can't read mine, is this a 15 or 30 Amp automatic breaker?

mnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:16 AM   #2

Both should be 30 amp. You can find them at auto parts stores.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
mnb

Default switch type

Thanks for the breaker size. Here is what I have for a problem the lift system would only work when plugged into power. I did replace the inline breaker that runs from the solenoid. By replacing the breaker I got the lift system to work off of the battery. But the power seems to be stuck on as the now the motor keeps running. I had to disconnect the power from the battery to get the motor to stop. I think the switch may be stuck. Does anyone know, what type and Amp size switch I should have. I assume a 30 amp since that is what the breaker is but does anyone know for sure.
mnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:24 AM   #4

MNB, this switch that raises and lowers your top may be using a relay. If this is the case then the relay might also be bad. I am not experienced in the electrical system of my Hi-Lo, but a 30 amp switch in a 12 volt system would generally go through a relay of some sort.
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
MNB, this switch that raises and lowers your top may be using a relay. If this is the case then the relay might also be bad. I am not experienced in the electrical system of my Hi-Lo, but a 30 amp switch in a 12 volt system would generally go through a relay of some sort.
The switch does operate the solenoid that is located on top of the pump. That is what carries the 30 power load. It could be stuck, safe bet is to replace it. That is an auto parts store item, take it along so it can be matched. Before you remove it be sure to take a picture of the wire hookup. Sometimes tapping it can make it release but I wouldn't trust it.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote