Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #1

Default Charger/Converter location 1972 Bon Voyage

Hello,

I am a brand new owner of a 1972 Bon Voyage and the previous owner did not know much about the electrical system. His dad owned it before him and I think his dad made a lot of modifications over the years.

When I talked to the previous owner, I asked how the battery stays charged. He said he has no idea. He said it just worked and every few years he would replace the battery.

Looking at the 1969 manual, I think that there must be a converter somewhere that automatically charges the battery when plugged in to shore power. For the life of my, I cannot find it.

I have raised and lowered the camper a few times now. I tested the battery voltage and it is sitting at 12.52 volts. When I had it plugged in, it was also at 12.52 volts. I was expecting that it would be above 13 volts if charging.

So can someone maybe clue me in on where the converter might be? Also as a separate issue, I noticed the battery was a normal car battery. Should this be a deep cycle? Or does it make sense to use the normal car battery since the motor probably needs the larger current when operating?

sircampsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #2

The power cord entrance to the trlr, converter box will be at the end. Most are in a cabinet or close proximity. circuit box with breakers/fuses next to it most of the time.

Trlr batteries can be recharged from a low state many times. Don't let it get below 11.6 volts before recharge.
Car batteries are more fickle. They need to be maintained above the 12V at all times. They can be recharged, but will degrade faster with the number of charges.

kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:21 PM   #3

Thank you for the info.

So mine has the power cord coming out of a spot near the top of the trailer on the opposite side from the door. It comes in a tiny cabinet above the range hood.

I know that the power from the Truck is not wired to the battery (I have it available on my truck end, but there is no wire on the trailer connector side). But I still can't figure out where this charge controller might be.

My battery is in this sunken compartment at the front of the trailer. I see the pump is in there as well. I do not see the controller in there. Maybe I will have to come back with a picture or something.

What does the converter look like? Does anyone have a picture (or a link to a picture) so I know what the converters look like on an older Hi-Lo?

Thanks!
sircampsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:52 PM   #4

The plug in you are describing being on the top and plugging in below the range hood on my 1985 hilo is the power line to the a/c unit.
Do you have a/c?

Your cord comes out of the top and back in to the top?
"cord coming out of a spot near the top of the trailer"
"It comes in a tiny cabinet above the range hood."

On my trlr the power cord is part of the trlr and is coiled up below the floor. driver side center , exterior access. 15-20' long

But if his dad did modifications???????????
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:09 AM   #5
Site Team

I agree with renoites - the cord you are describing is the air conditioner power cord. It plugs in to a receptacle somewhere on the bottom half of the trailer when you want to use the AC. The shore power cord would HAVE to come out of the bottom half - I cannot believe ANYONE, no matter how "addled" would modify it so that it came out of the top half.

The shore power cord will be a very heavy, 15-20 ft cord and will have a 30 Amp plug on the end.

The converter and battery are both in the bottom. The power cord for the converter will be close to it. Look for a door under all couches, or a "lift up" panel under cushions. Or, look for a door in the paneling at floor level in the trailer. My converter is near the refrigerator, but that is probably not a "standard" location.

The fact that your battery voltage does not change when you plug in the cord you found tells me it is NOT the converter cord. My guess is, the battery is being charged by your tow vehicle when you are traveling and that is allowing it to work well enough to raise the top. I'm frankly amazed the battery stays charged during camping stays though.

- Jack

Tags
battery, converter, deep cycle