Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:25 PM   #1

Default Circuit Breakers

Having an issue with the charging system. I have read through the forum and I see references to a circuit breaker in the battery box.

I have searched all over and cannot find any. I know about the CBs in the little door next to the fridge, but if there are others, would someone please steer me in that direction?

Thanks

Mrtoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:04 PM   #2

The circuit breakers in the battery box up front look like a little tin box with two terminal posts with one of the wires connecting to the battery. There is usually one for the lift system and one that goes to the converter. Some have to be manually reset by pushing a button on them, some are automatic reset.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
sam

Default Welcome to the forum.

If you could be more specific about your charging problem perhaps we could help you more.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:58 PM   #4

Here is a pic of my battery bucket. Is that the CB in the lower left? I only see the one.

Since I wasn’t totally familiar with the “black is positive” and “white is negative” wiring mixed with the traditional black and red, I briefly shorted the white converter wire with a black.

My converter is ok, no fuses on it blown. But I got curious when reading about the “ circuit breakers in the battery box” and I went looking, but did not see what looked like a breaker to me.

If that item in the picture is a CB, it is the only one and very rusty, so where do I get replacements?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51B98F21-BD25-41A2-9B1D-8F2837D8AE0D.jpg (190.5 KB, 66 views)
Old 05-02-2018, 06:56 AM   #5

Yes, that's a circuit breaker. You can usually get them at auto parts stores or Tractor Supply. 30 Amp is what you want.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 05-02-2018, 09:39 AM   #6

So, where does the second one go?
Old 05-02-2018, 09:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtoner View Post
So, where does the second one go?
There is usually one between the battery and the lift system and one between the converter/charger and the battery. Most times they are both in the battery compartment like the one you found. You may have to trace the wires from the battery positive post to find the other one. Hi-Lo changed things now and then.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 05-02-2018, 01:19 PM   #8

Thank you!
Old 05-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #9
Site Team

Mrtoner - I took a picture and labeled the wires to my two circuit breakers in post #23 of this thread: http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f28/...87/index3.html It may help you if you decide to add a circuit breaker or want to verify the wiring in yours.

Both CBs are 30 Amp in my trailer.

- Jack
Old 05-02-2018, 03:48 PM   #10

This is great!

Thank you!!
Old 05-02-2018, 07:23 PM   #11
sam

Default Just a thought

DH has had times where a fuse looked good but it was not. We always carry spare fuses for everything in the HiLo. DH has had to change the fuse in our converter and push the reset button. I'm not saying this is your problem. Our guy forum members are very good helping out with electrical/technical problems. Keep us posted.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:57 PM   #12

Bingo! Looked at the converter fuse in the fuse box, and it looked ok as did the others.

So i put a meter on that fuse, and sure enough, open circuit. New fuse and all is well.

I will be replacing the breakers in the battery box this weekend.

Thanks everyone for all the help.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:20 PM   #13
sam

Default Glad you got your problem solved.

I would suggest you carry spare fuses for everything in the HiLo. Cheap insurance for a small amt of money. We also carry a multimeter with us. Dh has a back ground in electrical electronics. What is my Bingo prize!! Just kidding. My prize is helping someone do a simple repair.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:00 PM   #14

Yup, put a bag of extra fuses right in there next to the 12v fuse box!

Thanks again
Old 05-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #15

I had trouble with mine and kept digging around around till I had to take the cover to the battery box all the way off to find the two little boxes, that had two threaded bolts sicking out of them one of them will have a push button on the side of it. push it to reset it. later on get one that resets automatically. and replace the one with the push button reset. If that doesn't work you may have to replace your converter also.
Bill C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:54 PM   #16

There is also a fuse in the white housing on the red wire. It is a push and twist to open.
drat53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:22 AM   #17
sam

Default Welcome to the forum

Wow,lots of new forum members popping up. Post again.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C View Post
I had trouble with mine and kept digging around around till I had to take the cover to the battery box all the way off to find the two little boxes, that had two threaded bolts sicking out of them one of them will have a push button on the side of it. push it to reset it. later on get one that resets automatically. and replace the one with the push button reset. If that doesn't work you may have to replace your converter also.
I found mine. At first I thought I only had one. One was on the INSIDE of the box, one on the OUTSIDE. The one on the outside was completely corroded, and just by trying to loosen the cable nuts it all disintegrated.

I replaced both per the diagram, with auto reset inside the box and manual reset outside the box.

Obviously if a problem does not let you raise the top, not being able to get to the breakers inside the box can be a problem.

So, I put new ones where the old ones were.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #19
Site Team

When I installed new breakers in the battery box, I put them under the pump access door of the batt box. I always install manual reset breakers, auto reset doesn't tell you there's a problem! I also coat ALL electrical connections (including those long bolts) with Dielectric grease. Annually, I check and reapply dielectric grease from the TV plug to the tail lights. And I check any connections that move (like those plugs) more often. That's just me.
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote