Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 03-25-2021, 02:45 PM   #21

You didn't make any mistake getting the PD converter. It will do its work with ease and also extend the life of your batteries. The Elixir, as well as WFCO converters, are junk. I replaced the WFCO converter in our Jayco with a Boondocker and our cousin replaced the Elixir in his Towlite with a Boondocker as well. Both the PD and the Boondockers have similar operational results. We used what we did because they were a direct replacement to the OEM in the trailers.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:17 PM   #22
Site Team

Thanks, Rich - My new converter/distribution panel arrived today and I like the way it is set up. I'll be documenting the replacement process when I start doing it. Right now, we have a winter-like cold front that has dropped temperatures and is supposed to bring snow. Won't clear up till Sunday, according to the forecasts.

- Jack

JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:15 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Thanks, Rich - My new converter/distribution panel arrived today and I like the way it is set up. I'll be documenting the replacement process when I start doing it. Right now, we have a winter-like cold front that has dropped temperatures and is supposed to bring snow. Won't clear up till Sunday, according to the forecasts.

- Jack
You're probably on it but be sure to photo your before wiring hookups in the old power center and label the wires as you take them off. It can save you some confusion in wiring up the new one. Sometimes we forget to do those things in the excitement of getting things going.

RichR
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 03-27-2021, 03:40 PM   #24
Site Team

Thank you Rich! I WAS on it but you're right, it does not hurt to be reminded, and I don't mind someone doing that at all. I know I'm not perfect and I know only too well how mistakes can be VERY costly.

Yes, I labeled each wire as I disconnected it from the old converter/distribution panel. I used "magic tape" which you can write on for this purpose. I'll just leave those labels in place when I reassemble everything.

I've found I can reuse the old circuit breakers, as well as the old fuses in the new box, which saves quite a bit of money. Additionally, the new box needs a buss bar to collect all the DC negative wires BEFORE a single wire from that buss bar comes in to the converter and connects to a circuit board tap. I found I could simply remove one of the buss bars in the old converter for that purpose - I'll attach it to the floor of the camper behind the converter.

Whoever wired in the Elixir box really changed the way the battery is fed from it. This "creative wiring" is what caused it to have those two, inline 30A fuses that were hidden behind the circuit board. They SHOULD have been in fuse holders on the front surface of the circuit board.

I'm taking my time and double checking everything.

- Jack
Old 03-27-2021, 08:51 PM   #25

Default Changing converter.

DH has had to replace converters in both HiLo"s we have owned. The original ones are a piece of junk. Glad you got the new one installed. Our converter is under the back couch on the drivers side. Tip..put a piece of painters tape on the back of the couch before you remove it to gain better access and save your back. Ask DH how we know this!! Airstream also uses a cheap converter in their $100.000 units.
Usagi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:48 PM   #26
Site Team

I haven't quite got the new one installed yet. Still have two AC lines to connect to it and then all the DC circuits. The AC circuits are somewhat difficult to install, because they're heavy gauge wire and not easy to maneuver into the circuit breakers and busses. The DC wires should go much easier. The new converter has installed wires extending from the rear and they just have to be connected to the trailer wires. I'll be attaching all the negative DC wires to an external buss too, then I'll run a single 10 gauge wire into the converter to complete that side.

I'll have to "build up" the original opening too, because the PD converter/distribution panel needs a smaller opening. That won't be a problem, just more "fiddling".

I'm taking pictures and will do a writeup when I'm finished.

- Jack
Old 03-30-2021, 07:57 AM   #27

Jack, I'm glad you have it figured out. Does that have the charge wizard pendant with it?
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 03-30-2021, 10:13 AM   #28
Site Team

Nope, no pendant. Guess the Wizard is opting to be "stealthy".

It DID come with a sort of ugly decal from BatteryStuff though, and a card with Tech Support's contact information and hours of operation on it. They shipped the unit the day I ordered it and it arrived in two days. Shipping was "free" and there was no tax!

- Jack