Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:53 AM   #1

Default Electric Brakes

I'm new here so hope this works. I just bought a 24ft Hi Lo 2005. It was bought from a dealer of course used. I was told by the dealer that it did not have electric brakes. It does have the wire connection that if it comes unhookes from the truck it applys braking. My question is would a 24ft have electric brakes and the dealer just didn't take the time to check?

rob9128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:19 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Yes, it should have electric brakes, if it doesn't someone removed them. By law in most states due to the weight of the trailer it has to have brakes.
Check the manuals in the Library in this forum if you don't have one.

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
Site Team

There's a quick way to check this. Jack up one side of the trailer, or pull it up onto a ramp, if you have tandem axles, so that one of the wheels is "hanging" and is free to rotate by hand. Now, you should be able to rotate a wheel. Don't be surprised if you hear some slight noise or feel a slight drag - the brakes, if installed are supposed to feel this way if adjusted properly.

Now, pull the breakaway plug out of the switch you described. The wheel you were rotating should be locked tight. That's an electric brake in action. Put the plug back into the switch and the wheel should rotate again.

Note: NEVER leave the breakaway switch engaged to lock the wheels when parked - it will drain your trailer's battery quickly.

- Jack
Old 12-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob9128 View Post
I'm new here so hope this works. I just bought a 24ft Hi Lo 2005. It was bought from a dealer of course used. I was told by the dealer that it did not have electric brakes. It does have the wire connection that if it comes unhookes from the truck it applys braking. My question is would a 24ft have electric brakes and the dealer just didn't take the time to check?
Welcome to the forum. This is about as close as you are going to get to your year but the info is the same.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...2004-hi-lo-78/
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #5

It would not have a breakaway switch if it does not have brakes, that is what the breakaway switch activates. Any trailer 3000 pounds or over must have brakes. I am shocked that a dealer would tell you that.

Welcome to the Forum!
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
Site Team

It clearly CAME with electric brakes, but I suppose it's possible the previous owner removed/disabled them, which is why I suggested a way to check if they're operating.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:53 AM   #7

Thanks to all. I can see this form is a great idea.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob9128 View Post
Thanks to all. I can see this form is a great idea.
Problem with any "dealer" site, is you are can be talking to salespeople, that dont know what they have said. He might have looked at a small list of "options" for a camper, since brakes are standard since what, year 2000 on all traiers? that "fact" was not on list.

YOUR tow vehicle wont activate the brakes on a trailer either, without a brake controller, which is an add on for almost any vehicle.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:52 AM   #9

I have installed a brake controller and have power to the back plug so should be good to go. Taking Feb. to go to Texas at a place called Paul's RV resort in Brownsville. Leaving St. Louis area Jan 28. Has anyone been to this park? Looking forward to the fishing and good food in South Padre Island. This will be a good test for my 24 ft on space.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Welcome to Texas!! We haven't been to that park but the coast of Texas is famous for their nice RV Parks and activities for guests, not to mention the beaches! Hope you have a memorable vacation. Be Safe.

Jerry & Carol Curtis
2406 Towlite
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:34 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

South Padre Island can be very windy in the winter, we were there about 4 years ago and the wind was so bad we didn't stay, you couldn't go on the beach for the blowing sand. We liked North Padre Island and fishing was good there. There are many RV parks around there and in Brownsville, be sure to lock your car in Brownsville, many undesirables there, so we were told by locales.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:15 AM   #12

I have also been told it gets very windy there. This is a trial run for full retirement next year and some RVing. If I don't like Texas then it will be Florida later on in 2012. Have taken a lot of vacations in Florida over the years and decided to try someplace different in Feb.
I have a place at the lake of the ozarks in Mo. to spend warmer months and really love it but cold weather is something I don't care for. Have a home base around St. Louis area and my daughter will move into it in June 2012 to help with tax, insurance and mail. Works out good for both of us. Saves us both money and she is closer to her work. Looking forward to next year.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:05 AM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95
Default Electric Brakes

rob9128 and pop richie bring up an interesting quandary; aside from googling a prospective area to find a campground, why not establish a separate thread for member's experiences and recommendations for campgrounds in the various places we have been? I know there are reports spread throughout the forum's topics but no specific location where one might go to read of that 'special' campground [or a terrible campground] and tell of the experiences we've had there.

As an example of the benefits, Rob may have chosen a different area had he read of Pop Richies experiences in South Padre. I might have written about our experiences at The Drifter's RV Park in the North Padre area which may have appealed to him. Both places offer beaches, fishing, great restaurants, and places to go and things to do. At least he would have something on which to base his decision. Is this a feasible undertaking? Would the membership be interested if this was implemented? Just a thought.

Rob, I did check out the website for Paul's RV and was very impressed with the activities and facilities. If the wind is blowing on the beaches, you will at least have a great looking facility to compensate. Have a great time!

Jerry & Carol Curtis
2406 T

jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote