Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:23 PM   #1

Default gas sniffer replacement

I havent been around for awhile but I need some advice.

Trailer is a 2001 22'. This summer while staying in it just one night we smelled gas. It was early in the morning and we found that one of us might have knocked a stove burner dial while getting up in the night( I didnt even think I had the tanks on. wrong!) . At any rate- windows were all open and the fantastic fan was running full tilt but the gas sniffer never went off. It could be there was too little gas and too much ventilation for it to get down to the floor- but I don't like it. that said- it is nearing 20 years old so I will replace it. Any advice on what model to get? Batterey or hard wired? It doesn't look like wiring in a new one would be much effort. It is mounted on the aisle on the side of one of the dinette benches not far from the where the switches (lowering etc) are located.

Thanks Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Rick, mine's hardwired and I think it would be a simple remove and replace operation to put in a new one. I wouldn't think there'd be changes in the interface.

Mine's in about the same place as yours. Your fantastic fan and the open windows probably DID prevent the gas from accumulating enough to set off the alarm. I think Propane is heavier than air so the detector has to be mounted low, but I doubt it's THAT much heavier. Probably just got sucked out.

- Jack

Old 09-19-2019, 07:50 AM   #3

If you replace the detector you should get the LP/CO combination detector. They are pretty much standard equipment now. Or, you can get a combination CO and smoke detector. Our 2210H had one of those.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:17 AM   #4

They got after market stuff out there...Might be easier /cheaper
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #5

I did replace it and as predicted it was pretty simple. I did have to enlarge the hole a wee bit but other than that no issue. Bought a combo lp, carbon monoxide unit. Now, I have another issue. Check my new post in charging issues and thanks for the advice up to here.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #6

In our 1990 229TL on the last trip I over sprayed lysol bathroom spray ( air freshener ) and it set mine off which is located up front and is the original detector. Guess it was the propellant in the spray???
Freddiefreeloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:31 PM   #7

Default Gas Sniffer Replacement

In September 2019, I noticed that my PP Gas Sniffer was no longer working in my 2004 20T ( no light). Found a note from the manufacturer on it that it should be replaced every 5 years. Amazon listed the replacement models for $70-$88. Successfully bought same brand and model online for $30. Direct replacement. It is a very important safety item since LP gas hugs the floor and not very detectable by my old nose.
Lloydinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:34 PM   #8

My 1509 has the detector located beneath the table just above the floor and on the opposite side of the wall from the furnace. It has a continuous blinking light when propane is on but I don't remember it going off. I suspect it still works since the light blinks.
RICHARD1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:22 AM   #9

It's working as it should, the green light indicates it's not detecting anything.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 09-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #10

Default Gas sniffer

Several years back while my wife and I were camping, my son and g-daughter came to set up a tent close to us. It was night, raining, and the air was heavy. My wife and g-daughter were in the Hi-Lo with my son's dachshund and I was outside helping my son set up the tent. All of a sudden, my wife, g-daughter, and the dog came running to the tent site (in the rain) informing me the alarm had gone off. Of course they didn't know which alarm. I went back to the trailer but by this time the alarm was silent. Trying to figure out the cause I eventually learned the dachshund had been laying next to the detector and we all knew this dog was notorious giving off, how should I say, rear odors. Case closed, no problems since.
Beach
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:58 PM   #11
Site Team

That's a funny story, Beach! Bet the alarm startled the wiener dog when it went off! You could have maybe used the alarm as aversion therapy on it. Of course then, the dog would swell up like a balloon.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:54 AM   #12

That's a common happening.

Amateur Radio K3EXU