Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch
Default Generator question

My Dad gave me a Coleman Powermate 1000 generator/battery charger, it's rated at 120v 7.1 amps AC and 12v 70 amps on the DC side. Can I use this to charge my battery when boondocking? If so should I charge the battery directly or try to plug into the converter/charger. The converter is a MagneTek 930-2 with a 30 amp output and the AC input is 95-130v 60hz 4.6 amps.
I don't want to smoke my electrical system so I'm thinking that I should charge the battery directly. This genset has a plug in that the jumper cables (provided with it) plug into. Is it big enough to serve the purpose?

vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Personally I wouldnt want to give a battery anything over 10 amps when charging, because of 10 chargers I have bought in the last 30 years on the farm (many batteries on the farm you know) only 1 could give more than 12 amps on maximum setting, used to charge big ol 8d batteries in parrallel (BIG BATTERIES that take 2 people to lift according to OSHA).

IF it is a true battery charger, then there is a chance that it has ability to ease up on charging? my generator charges through the shore power cord, through the same inverter (just as if I was plugged into campground or home).

If you check the water in the battery often, high amp charging boils the water/acid out, so keep the battery full.

Find the manual online, maybe it will state how it charges?

Old 10-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Site Team

I agree with sting - I charge our batteries through the shore power cord with my 1000 Watt Honda generator. That way, the converter in the trailer "regulates" the charging current to the batteries, reducing it as they near full charge.

But, your trailer's converter may not have this feature? Still though, if you can plug the trailer into a 30-50 Amp shore power supply and not hurt anything (and charge the battery too), it will work that way with your generator.

The generator just won't handle a high demand, like a microwave or A/C.

- Jack
Old 01-12-2011, 11:57 PM   #4

Hi vannooch,
Most of Rvs contain two system of batteries one system is of battery that start & runs the vehicle & another is to provide the power to the accessories in the Coach. JackandJanet & sting32 is good guide to you. I am agree both of.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #5

I would agree that charging through the trailer's converter is best. Deep cycle batteries aren't made to take a high rate of charge like a car battery. The charge rate depends upon the capacity of the battery. A 20 to 30 amp three stage battery charger would work best of all for most batteries. If you have batteries hooked up in parallel you can go for a higher charge rate to match the total capacity of the batteries.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to captbobster

If your worried about your batteries being able to take high charge rates, you might want to try Odyssey batteries. They are AGM (absorbed glass mat) and will take a very high recharge rate and also recover to full charge in a lot shorter time without getting hot. I have been using these for large stationary generator stations because of the constant charging and recharging that is so hard on regular batteries. They have a very low internal resistance which also keeps them from discharging with no load on them. They cost 2 to 4 times more expensive but are well worth it and have a shelf life of 12 yrs. They can also be mounted in any orientation and inside as they don't gas off. Do yourself a favor and go to their website. ODYSSEY Batteries - Official Manufacturer's Site I even use them for UPS backup batteries in my house.
captbobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Quote:
Originally Posted by captbobster View Post
If your worried about your batteries being able to take high charge rates, you might want to try Odyssey batteries. They are AGM (absorbed glass mat) and will take a very high recharge rate and also recover to full charge in a lot shorter time without getting hot. I have been using these for large stationary generator stations because of the constant charging and recharging that is so hard on regular batteries. They have a very low internal resistance which also keeps them from discharging with no load on them. They cost 2 to 4 times more expensive but are well worth it and have a shelf life of 12 yrs. They can also be mounted in any orientation and inside as they don't gas off. Do yourself a favor and go to their website. ODYSSEY Batteries - Official Manufacturer's Site I even use them for UPS backup batteries in my house.
Love the link, I am contemplating makeing a battery that only runs the top, and 2 batteries elsewhere that run the camper. not a big concern yet, as I think converting most of my often use lights to LED migh be easier, if not cheaper, I like boondocking.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

We do a lot of boondocking as most national camp grounds have no hook ups, I run two12 volt batteries , they supply enough power to run the fridge fan, lights when needed, a TV and a DVD player, also the fantastic fan for short periods, I have a100 watt solar panel which will recharge the batteries the next day if the sun is good, has to be on all day or I run a generator for about 2 hours each day, charging with the trailer charger.

PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote