Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:51 AM   #1

Default Generator tent/shelter

Has anyone made or used a generator tent or shelter to keep generators out of direct rain? I want to set something up while we are dry or should I say wet camping. We have most always been lucky and been able to get the batteries charged in dry conditions but there's always that one time where the rain catches us off guard. I'm thinking of putting up a pup tent type shelter using a cheap tarp and some old tent poles that will be large enough for access, provide a dry environment, and allow for proper cooling.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
Site Team

I have not done this, Rich, but it sounds a good idea. I think a pup tent would certainly be big enough to provide cooling, but I think you need to consider access to fresh air, or the generator might choke on its own exhaust. As long as a downwind opening was provided, I suspect it should work.

I know my generator would not start one time after a heavy rain where it got wet. It worked after it dried out, so I know rain is a consideration.

I'll be interested in what you come up with.

- Jack

Old 05-04-2017, 04:46 PM   #3

After watch a number YouTube videos I think I will measure things up and make frame with PVC pipe and cover it with a tarp. It will be sort of a tunnel type thing with open ends with lots of air circulation space. I will make a little one for my small Yamaha generator, then if it works out I can make one for the big generator.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 05-04-2017, 07:53 PM   #4

putting my propane generator on far inside truck bed up by back window.with cap on/ drilling exhaust vent hole, and bolting down with chains inside bed. exhaust will go out side of truck bed ,with cap on. back door will be shut and locked
with back door shut on top, it will be quiet, and fume free with exhaust going out the side of or bottom of the truck bed. just need to extend exhaust pipe, to wherever I want it to go. that's my plan. then have nice cord to go to and fro.12 to 10 guage or better. I now have 70 solar watts too. may build in exhaust blower also.
maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:17 PM   #5

I've been caught in the rain twice. I had a large folding picnic table that i put the generator underneath but had an idea to put some hooks on the front cap and run a tarp to go over the propane tanks. At the right angle and depth it could allow for a dry spot for a bin or a generator.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro123 View Post
putting my propane generator on far inside truck bed up by back window.with cap on/ drilling exhaust vent hole, and bolting down with chains inside bed. exhaust will go out side of truck bed ,with cap on. back door will be shut and locked
with back door shut on top, it will be quiet, and fume free with exhaust going out the side of or bottom of the truck bed. just need to extend exhaust pipe, to wherever I want it to go. that's my plan. then have nice cord to go to and fro.12 to 10 guage or better. I now have 70 solar watts too. may build in exhaust blower also.
I would be concerned with not having enough ventilation to provide for fresh air supply and cooling for the generator. With the cap opened things would be okay.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 05-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #7

Hi Rich! yeah just a thought that's swimming around. my windows do open on the cap and no one would be in there while its running. never used a camper at a campground b4. ha never used a generator b4 either lol.
I guess they give you certain times you can run them? that's even if I need it I don't even know. lol have a good day.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:19 AM   #8
Site Team

Yup, most campgrounds that allow generators have a period of time in the morning, maybe 8:00-11:00, and then in the evening, I think 6:00-9:00 is common. At other times, you are not supposed to use the generator. Some campgrounds don't even allow them.

In fairness, I think this is in response to the noise levels of some generators. We were camped in the mountains of New Mexico once and some idiot had a generator that sounded worse that a table saw. In fact, it seemed about the sound level of a jet engine.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:07 AM   #9

" I think this is in response to the noise levels of some generators."

Indeed! for years I was a bit of a "tent" snob. Tent camping only, I tended to look down on Rv'rs---especially in mixed campgrounds like NFS and State Parks. I'm less judgemental, now--- but, still, I like to have the experience of sitting out with coffee in the morning or staring at the starts at night and many a generator sized for construction sites has made me wonder why I hadn't stayed at home. I carry a generator on long trips, now, but prefer to use it only when it is obviously necessary for re-charging and I try to be very respectful of those around me who do not feel the need. There ARE work-arounds for what Micro-waves, AC, toasters, and hair-dryers give you.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:55 AM   #10

I use a 8500 company gen in the back in a cap on job sites with the back and one side window open and no problems with fresh air, heat or exhaust. A smaller one should be fine.
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Yup, most campgrounds that allow generators have a period of time in the morning, maybe 8:00-11:00, and then in the evening, I think 6:00-9:00 is common. At other times, you are not supposed to use the generator. Some campgrounds don't even allow them.

In fairness, I think this is in response to the noise levels of some generators. We were camped in the mountains of New Mexico once and some idiot had a generator that sounded worse that a table saw. In fact, it seemed about the sound level of a jet engine.

- Jack
Jack, your experience in New Mexico sounds a little like our experience a few months ago in Radium Springs, NM. A construction generator was being used and the campers were told they could not use it. I guess the generator was too loud and they did not hear our warning. In the morning the sheriff arrived and told the campers they had ten minutes to clear out or everyone would be arrested. They did move pretty fast!
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #12

Jack that's some funny stuff. small jet engine huh? well mine it I think 7hp? propane only I haven't even unboxed it yet, it don't even have oil in it! haven't been able to do much but roll around in this darn office chair for 3 weeks now. also a construction generator LOL wow what how many hp are those units? a lot I assume. I have always, not camping, I haven't ever really camped all that much just lived in 2 of them, for 2-4 months at sisters houses. but things in general I always try to show respect to others all the time wherever I am. its only common sense. others aren't so good with manners. it states mine is less than 68 decibels. hope that's good news lol
Old 05-05-2017, 02:55 PM   #13
Site Team

Yes, Mike - your generator is fairly quiet. Probably a bit louder than a person speaking.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:15 PM   #14

you never heard me speak lol