Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #1

Default How long to charge dead battery if plugged in?

I have a 2009 hilo mojo that is new to me as of the beginning of the summer. I had been plugging it into my house once a month to keep the battery charged. I forgot in December and it is now dead. I plugged it in last night. How long does it take to charge the battery from dead when plugged into the house, and how often and for how long each time should I plug it in to keep it charged?

Is there something I can buy that will tell me the state of the battery?

Also what is that annoying (well annoying when I am trying to sleep anyway) blinking green light that comes on when either the battery has a charge or I am plugged in? Is there a way to turn everything off so I don't have anything draining the battery when I am not using the trailer?

I downloaded the regular hilo manual from the library (I understand they never did make one for the mojo) and as far as I can tell it doesn't exactly address these questions.

Thanks,
Carolyn

carolynb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #2

Battery charging time depends on the amp hour rating of the battery and the rate of charge of the charger. For example if your battery is rated at 100 amp hours and your charger rate is 10 amps it theoretically take 10 hours, your results may vary as most charger's rate gets lower as the battery comes closer to full charge.

I don't know what the rate of the converter is on your trailer but a 24 hr session should be sufficient

miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #3

Thanks. I didn't want to over charge it.

Any idea how long a battery lasts if it isn't in use? Which is I guess the long way of asking how often a month should I plug it into my house.

Carolyn
Old 01-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #4

The best way to check the battery's condition is to have it checked at a repair shop, etc where they have an instrument that puts a load on it.

You can get an idea with a volt meter, should read 13.2-13.6v range.

I'm sure there are some other things that display lights to give an idea of the state of charge

If the battery is not sealed, taking the caps off allows you to top off with distilled water to the bottom of the filler tube, then charge. It's not good if the plates inside are not submerged in fluid. Caution there is strong acid inside the battery, safety glasses and rubber gloves please. Be careful the battery acid has the ability to "jump" off the battery, well not really but it seams like it. It has a special affinity for cotton eating holes in it while in the washer.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #5

Batteries self discharge at about 4% per week. You could just get a very low rate charger, 1 to 2 amps and just leave it on checking the water periodically for an unsealed battery. I don't know about you camper's converter, mine will monitor the battery voltage and kick in when needed so it can just be left plugged in all the time. If you have the owners manual fog the converter it should tell you or get the brand and model number and se if you can get the information on line.

Jim
Old 01-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynb3 View Post
Also what is that annoying (well annoying when I am trying to sleep anyway) blinking green light that comes on when either the battery has a charge or I am plugged in? Is there a way to turn everything off so I don't have anything draining the battery when I am not using the trailer?

Thanks,
Carolyn
The green light is probably from the LP gas leak detector. You really need to have that in operation. If you don't want to see the blinking light stick a piece of electrical tape over it.

The best way to turn everything off is to disconnect the wires from the battery. Rather than plugging the trailer in to the house get a Battery Tender charger and hook it to the battery. It can be left on all the time and will not overcharge the battery. Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger : Amazon.com : Automotive Sears sells them.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #7

I think I have a lot to learn about electricity. I can fix mechanical things, but for some reason I shy away from anything involving messing with electricity. I put a gauge on the propane tank so I can tell how full (or not) the tank is. If they make something like that to attach to the battery (it is housed outside the camper next to the external propane tank) then I could see at a glance how much charge is left.

I guess I need to look at the brand on each item in this trailer and then search for manuals so I know exactly what I am doing.

I am used to tent camping (as in backpacking and recently car camping) so need to educate myself about all this "fancy" stuff LOL.

Thanks

Carolyn
Old 01-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #8

If you are going to buy a battery charger make sure you buy one with the battery minder circuit. I bought a new converter for my HiLo with the battery minder circuit an it has been plugged into house current since late 2009 (except when traveling) and I have not had to add water since installing the converter.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #9

Thanks for the warning about what I need to buy.

Carolyn