Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #1

Question Inverter usage

In the "What would your Hi-Lo like for christmas" gary had a 1000 watt inverter. Being inverter new, what would this be able to power? and wouldn't you have to recharge the battery more often? So you would still have to have a generator if boondocking?

Towlite2go

Towlite2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #2

I suspect a 1000 watt inverter would power most stuff up to your air conditioning-and power some of it at the same time. Tvs, satellite receiver, computers, printers, small micro waves etc.

Yes-it will still drain your battery, of course, because your battery bank would now be supplying the juice instead of your shore power or generator. If boondocking- you would need someway to re-charge the batteries by either a gasoline, diesel, solar, or wind generator or some combination there of. I suppose if you had access to a stream and a decent portable hydo generator- that would work also. But, a good inverter lets you use all those AC dependent electronic appliances without starting up your typical portable fossil fueled generator.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Site Team

Yes but - the inverter is not 100% efficient. It takes battery power just to make the inverter operate, so you put in more than you take out. You'd be far better off, "battery life" wise, if you were to use appliances that operated off 12V power. Save the inverter for things like laptop power supplies, and maybe a few things that run off of "wall warts" but are fairly low power items.

I normally plug the 110V things in when I have my generator on supplying power to recharge the trailer batteries. And I do this using the shore power cord to the generator so that the trailer converter can control the charging rate.

- Jack
Old 01-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #4

Jack,

What appliances do you have that are 12 volts?

We use a toaster, mixer, ice cream maker that are all 120 volts that will run off a 700 watt inverter which we have in our Aliner and now a 1000 watt inverter in the Hi-lo.

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X4 36,000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk52 View Post
Jack,

What appliances do you have that are 12 volts?

We use a toaster, mixer, ice cream maker that are all 120 volts that will run off a 700 watt inverter which we have in our Aliner and now a 1000 watt inverter in the Hi-lo.
Ice Cream Maker? I want to go camping with you!
I have a battery operated mixer, and a 12V blender and use the stove for toast. I have an inverter in my truck to charge my laptop when we are driving.
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #6

jack said:

"I normally plug the 110V things in when I have my generator on supplying power to recharge the trailer batteries. And I do this using the shore power cord to the generator so that the trailer converter can control the charging rate."

I agree with using the battery charger/controller plugged into generator for charging batteries----but i still think it is nice to have the option of using the occaisional 110v appliance during quiet hours and using the generator to replace that useage, including the added amps to run the inverter, when generally recharging the batteries if it is feasible. It is more economical for me to use appliances that will do double duty in my house than it is to duplicate some with 12v items. Theoretically, of course- as I really don't use anything critical that is 110v at this time.

-rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post
jack said:

"I normally plug the 110V things in when I have my generator on supplying power to recharge the trailer batteries. And I do this using the shore power cord to the generator so that the trailer converter can control the charging rate."

I agree with using the battery charger/controller plugged into generator for charging batteries----but i still think it is nice to have the option of using the occaisional 110v appliance during quiet hours and using the generator to replace that useage, including the added amps to run the inverter, when generally recharging the batteries if it is feasible. It is more economical for me to use appliances that will do double duty in my house than it is to duplicate some with 12v items. Theoretically, of course- as I really don't use anything critical that is 110v at this time.

-rick
I don't use my 12v stuff in the Hi-lo actually.
I use the 12v blender to make margaritas on the tailgate of my truck in the middle of the desert and I have this little lunchbox sized device called a Truckers Oven. It is an insulated food warmer and it is great on my little boat to keep breakfast burritos warm on morning fishing trips. I got them at a freight damage store for less than $10 each. I used them when the engines are running.
Ralph

Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote