Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #21

Ran into another problem. I will not be able to put the Iota in the front cabinet like I wanted. The Iota isn't ignition protected. I don't want the possibility of an electrical arc inside a compartment that also has a propane connection.

Randy at Best Converters said the Iota could be exchanged for a Progressive Dynamics 9260 which is ignition protected. I may go that route now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Thing is, I had not seen that before either. Just noticed it today. If I had seen/read that earlier, I probably wouldn't have ordered the Iota, at least right now. But since I do have it now, I'm going to go ahead and install it now.

After comparing what I saw yesterday after opening up the Elixir, and comparing that to the Iota I have, and studying the pictures and install narratives at Best Converters, and several emails to Randy at Best Converters, I've decided on a plan of action.

The Iota will be mounted in the compartment under the front convertible sofa, just behind the water heater, next to the pull down door.

And instead of cutting the power cord on the Iota and hard wiring it to the AC Breaker panel, I'm going to install a 120VAC receptical and just plug in the Iota.

I've also determined the WFCO's, PD's, and Iota's use just one red (positive) DC wire and one white (negative) DC wire, in place of the two yellow (positive) and two white (negative) DC wires used by Elixir.

The only thing I'm needing an answer for, from Randy, is the appropriate gauge wire to use since the converter/charger will be between two and three feet away from where it was, and the same distance from the DC electrical panel.

Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:05 AM   #22

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

If you mean the hot water tank, the copper propane line (tube) connection is on the outside, inside the exterior cover. The 110 connection to the hot water tank is under there and it is not ignition proof. Hi-Lo put the old transformer charger under there, and it was not ignition protected. Also not sure what you mean ignition protected as when my PD9280 was destroyed it blew completely up, there was sparks of all kinds. The sparks came out the air vent holes. When I opened the door under the couch the sparks flew several feet out the door. It was also burning inside and the flame was visible. The PD9260 is made exactly the same. Any electronic item with vent holes is not ignition proof. Before you exchange, call the people at PD and ask, as none of there products are advertise as ignition proof on their web site. Another point the wall where the Elixir is mounted is completely open to the area under the couch. Also you have open electronics in the fridge in very close proximity to the propane connection. If there is a bad or loose connection on the wires to the water pump there will be and electrical spark and it is already under the couch. Call the manufacturer before you exchange for that reason. Telephone... 269-781-4241
Progressive Dynamics for RV and Marine electronics and lighting.

If you still wind up being concerned about putting a converter under the couch, exchange the Iota for the WFCO converter, it fits in the same space as the Elixir converter.
http://www.bestconverter.com/Elixir-...e_ep_22-1.html

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #23

You are right. The gas connection is indeed outside. The water tank is inside, and a gas line runs through the space up front, but does go outside to actually connect to the water heater.

Now I'm comfortable with putting the Iota inside that space.

I just have to get some 6 gauge wire, as recommended by Best Converter, and I can start the project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRichie77 View Post
If you mean the hot water tank, the copper propane line (tube) connection is on the outside, inside the exterior cover. The 110 connection to the hot water tank is under there and it is not ignition proof. Hi-Lo put the old transformer charger under there, and it was not ignition protected. Also not sure what you mean ignition protected as when my PD9280 was destroyed it blew completely up, there was sparks of all kinds. The sparks came out the air vent holes. When I opened the door under the couch the sparks flew several feet out the door. It was also burning inside and the flame was visible. The PD9260 is made exactly the same. Any electronic item with vent holes is not ignition proof. Before you exchange, call the people at PD and ask, as none of there products are advertise as ignition proof on their web site. Another point the wall where the Elixir is mounted is completely open to the area under the couch. Also you have open electronics in the fridge in very close proximity to the propane connection. If there is a bad or loose connection on the wires to the water pump there will be and electrical spark and it is already under the couch. Call the manufacturer before you exchange for that reason. Telephone... 269-781-4241
Progressive Dynamics for RV and Marine electronics and lighting.

If you still wind up being concerned about putting a converter under the couch, exchange the Iota for the WFCO converter, it fits in the same space as the Elixir converter.
Elixir to WFCO Upgrade
Old 06-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #24

If it isn't one thing, it's another. Bought all the needed supplies, like proper wire, etc climbed in the Hi Lo, and opened up the Elixir again. I did not see what I was expecting.

The AC side is very straight forward, and understand exactly what needs to be done. However, the DC side has me very confused. Confused enough that I may leave well enough alone.

For one thing, the main converter board has 2 yellow wires coming from it going up to the DC panel. All other main converter boards I've seen have a single red (positive) wire, and a single white (negative or neutral) wire.

A lot of the wires are hidden behind what looks like a circuit board. I was able to pull some of them out enough to get a quick look. There are two different instances of yellow and red wires spliced together, and wrapped with a "pound" of electrical tape. There are other red wires coming from other places. Heck, in one instance, there appears to be a red and black wire screwed together with a large wire nut, and this is taped with a ton of electrical tape.

The only way to get a better look is to start taking the DC panel side apart, and I'm not sure I want to tackle that. The last thing I want to disassemble the current converter and not be able to fix it later.

Has anyone reading this board, replaced the Elixir converter with either an Iota, PD, or WFCO?
Old 06-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #25

Hi Atlee
Yes I did replace my Elixir with a PD converter. Had no problems with the hookup. The PD converter has been in the RV over a year, plugged into power the entire time and I have not had to add any water yet. Much better than the Elixir. If I can help with any info on your hookup, let me know. JIM
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:15 AM   #26

when you say it does not go to float charge are you refering to your 2009 22' trailer? I have the same trailer and I was told it does go to float mode. I will have to look into then as well and certainly exchange it for a 3 stage one

COLLINGWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote