Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES
Default Master switch

What position does the master switch go in when the trailer is not in use? My battery is going dead when I leave it down or in the middle.

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #2

The middle is the "all things off" position. The refrigerator in 12 volt mode is the only exception. If you have a tongue jack it doesn't go through the master switch.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
The middle is the "all things off" position. The refrigerator in 12 volt mode is the only exception.
Thanks! Now I'm thinking I better check the selector on the refrigerator.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #4

I believe somebody said that the stereo system bypassed the switch because it needs power to maintain the program settings. That should be a very small draw. You may have something else wrong. If you have an ammeter, put it in series between the battery positive post and the disconnected battery wire and see if there is any current flowing. If so and the master switch is on the center position start hunting for the gremlin.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
I believe somebody said that the stereo system bypassed the switch because it needs power to maintain the program settings. That should be a very small draw. You may have something else wrong. If you have an ammeter, put it in series between the battery positive post and the disconnected battery wire and see if there is any current flowing. If so and the master switch is on the center position start hunting for the gremlin.
Yes, I've posted on this and installed a simple ON-OFF switch in the positive electrical supply to the radio/TV/DVD player. I suspect you have something similar in your trailer. The player was completely isolated from the 3-position switch, so the switch had no effect. The battery would be drained within about 2 weeks if it was not disconnected, which is what I did before I found the source of the problem.

Having the ON-OFF switch has caused no problems. Radio presets don't mean much when you are traveling, and it has not caused any problems with the DVD, which is really all we use, to play DVDs and CDs.

- Jack
Old 06-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #6

Could the carbon monoxide alarm also be hot wired so is a small constant current drain? I Haven't tested mine to see if always on.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM L View Post
Could the carbon monoxide alarm also be hot wired so is a small constant current drain? I Haven't tested mine to see if always on.
My carbon monoxide/smoke alarm is double A battery powered unit, my 12 volt propane gas alarm was wired incorrecting from the factory causing a battery drain. I ran a new 12 volt supply line from the 12 volt fuse box with a 3amp fuse to the propane gas alarm. With my switch in the center prosition there is no draw and the alarm is off. With the switch in the battery prosition I get 12 volts to the fuse box and then to the alam. If I'm pluged into shore power, my converter sends 12 volts to the fuse box and then to the alarm.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:18 AM   #8

Quote:
I better hunt for the gremlin since I do not have a stereo system.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #9

The only two items I could think of robbing the power is the fridge fan and the break away brake switch. Both are unlikely sources, but possible. Don't know if you have installed a new fridge fan and rewired it or left the switch on. And again if the break away brake switch was the problem, your brakes would be on when you would hook up to tow - but if the battery was drained, there would be no juice from the battery to apply the brakes. Hope this makes sense.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
Site Team

The breakaway switch would kill your battery very quickly. The propane alarm would be a slow drain. You could certainly tell if the alarm or the fridge fan was on (you'd hear the fan or feel a breeze, and the propane alarm has a light that blinks about once every 15 or 30 seconds when it's on).

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #11

Thanks for the tips. I will check them both out today.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #12

Jack,

If the fridge fan is the factory original, you can hear them run from a block away. If they have been replaced by the newer technology fans, you cannot hear them run. I have to literally put my ear on the exterior vent to hear it run. It has a so-called "liquid bearing" by Sony.

Bob
Old 06-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #13
Site Team

Bob - Yep, I know that, having replaced my Mattel fan with two PC fans. But, when I put my ear up to the vent I hear them and certainly feel the air blowing on my head. I didn't think RCREYES had replaced his fan, but that's why I suggested he could feel a breeze, if he couldn't hear the fan.

I think the Sushi Mod was one of the best things I did to our trailer!

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #14

Yep, the Sushi Mod is better than sliced bread. It is definately a keeper!

Bob
Old 06-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Bob - Yep, I know that, having replaced my Mattel fan with two PC fans. But, when I put my ear up to the vent I hear them and certainly feel the air blowing on my head. I didn't think RCREYES had replaced his fan, but that's why I suggested he could feel a breeze, if he couldn't hear the fan.

I think the Sushi Mod was one of the best things I did to our trailer!

- Jack
I haven't replaced my fan. I haven't had time to check it out yet either. I'm taking a four day weekend so I'll be doing some maintenance on my trailer. I'll let you know what I find.