Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #1

Default Minimal battery just for lift

What is the battery needs just for the lift?

I plan to have completely separate batteries for the coach than the hydraulic pump. I assume a cranking battery is better than a deep cell battery for the pump? Will a small lawnmower batter be sufficient to raise the roof twice?

Thinking small for weight and for quicker charging and of course cheaper to replace down the road.

I have read between 75 and 150 cc amps for the lift

Old 11-22-2017, 10:58 AM   #2

I'm just going to give you an opinion here, and it's worth what you're paying for it - but it may give you something else to think about.

I suspect the lawnmower battery may well have enough current output to lift the top twice, before being recharged, and I think an auto battery would certainly have enough output. But, and this is my concern - I don't think either are designed for the kind of deep discharge you will be putting on them and I would think they will fail to accept and hold a charge more quickly than a standard deep discharge battery. With that in mind, using one could possibly end up costing more in the long run. Both of these batteries are designed to be recharged immediately after the starting duty they are put to.

- Jack

Old 11-28-2017, 04:40 PM   #3

I have a battery on mower, so might give it a shot… unless anyone has actually tried it already
Old 11-28-2017, 06:52 PM   #4

If you ONLY use the battery for lifting (and not for ANY steady-drains, like the inverter or lights), a starting battery should be ok. This is afterall a starting circuit, with a starter-type motor. Until the 90’s it wasn’t unusual to run a starter for 20-30 seconds to geta. Car to start.

Whether the lawnmower battery has sufficient capacity is another question. You could try to see how many lifts you get from a single charge...but keep in mind doing so will damage the battery. In my experience, discharging a starter battery one time reduces it’s lifespan about 1/3 (no hard facts on this, just observation from the many, many batteries I’ve replaced in the shop - kill it once and you’ll be back within the year for a new one).
KnottyRig is offline   Reply With Quote