Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #1

Default Monitor panel

I have a 1998 that I just got not to long ago and I'm still trying to figure everything out.
The monitor panel is above the fridge and counter. The only lights that will light when each button is pushed is just the first one. I have full water tanks and a full batter but the monitor wont show this. I'm wondering if I have a bad monitor panel or if there is something else going on?
Any ideas?
Thanks
Jack

minerscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Other people have had a problem with the ground connection behind the panel. Also the tank sensors are a problem area, they are bad on my 2209.

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:34 PM   #3
sam

Default Tank sensors

The tank sensors are notorious for inaccurate readings. Some have installed another brand of sensor. Do a search on this forum for the brand of replacement. Sorry I can't recall the brand. My sensors don't work on my 1990.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #4

Default monitor panel 12volt

I can understand the sensors on the tanks. but what about the 12 volt or battery lights? it don't show full even when I'm plugged into shore power.
my battery reads at 12.7 volts. If I unplug the power it starts to drop. If I hook up solar panels it will claim up to 14. + is my converter bad? I still have 12 system inside lights etc. I checked all wires behind panel and all see good. however I see no wire from battery to panel? should there be one?
Confused!
Old 03-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Battery power to the panel comes thru the master switch and only works with the master switch in the right position, which is opposite the position for top up and down.
To check the converter plug into 110 shore power make sure there is 110 at the outlets inside then put a volt meter on the battery and the voltage should be higher than when not plugged into 110 Ac.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #6

Thanks Rich.
The battery does increase once I'm plugged in and inside plugs do all work.
You mention main switch, If I understand it right the up is inside 12 volt lights the middle is travel and the bottom is for the up/down.
The only other wires coming off my battery besides the main is the inverter.
I just found it funny that my solar panels would increase the battery higher than the shore power. Yes I do have a charge/reg on it.
Thanks
Jack
Old 03-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by minerscreek View Post
Thanks Rich.
The battery does increase once I'm plugged in and inside plugs do all work.
You mention main switch, If I understand it right the up is inside 12 volt lights the middle is travel and the bottom is for the up/down.
The only other wires coming off my battery besides the main is the inverter.
I just found it funny that my solar panels would increase the battery higher than the shore power. Yes I do have a charge/reg on it.
Thanks
Jack
Hello Jack!

The difference in voltage has to do with the charge regulator in each device. The trailer converter limits the charging voltage to a lower value than the charge regulator on the solar panel. A lower value, but still above the 12.7V full charge reading on a lead-acid battery, will be "kinder" to the longevity of the battery when subject to frequent recharging.

- Jack
Old 03-14-2014, 03:47 PM   #8

Thanks Jack
I now understand that part!
Jack