Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 07-06-2021, 11:30 PM   #101

Default Solar Thoughts

Hello All.

There is so much good information in this thread. I am FINALLY getting my Hi-Lo trailer this Saturday. I believe it is a 1995 22L Fun Chaser. There are so many things I want/will do to it.

I have my first trip at the end of July, just to test it out and find out how it works, what doesn't work, etc.

Solar REALLY interests me. As a read through this thread, I gathered a lot of information, and I know there is more than one way of doing this.

How is everyone's solar holding up? What do you wish you had done differently? What worked really well? Any specific tips or tricks for this?

I have gathered that 300W is what I am looking for from my panels.

Has anyone had to break out a generator? Does it work for the AC/Fridge & anything else in the trailer?

I will 100% be moving all to LED lights. One of the many items on my update list.

One more question. Do you have a generator just in case? if so, what kind of generator do you have/bring?

Thank you in Advance.

Jes

vectorOverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:18 AM   #102
Site Team

Glad you found the thread useful Jes and have fun with the new trailer!

My solar installation is still working fine and I am happy with it. I wish, though, that I had worked out a way to mount the panels with an air gap between them and the roof so that they would run cooler. My understanding is that their efficiency goes down as temperatures rise. At the time though, since I wanted to use flexible panels (for the weight savings) and I didn't want to drill holes in the roof, there didn't seem a way to do this. However, I've seen a method on utube that uses a plastic corrugated sheet under the panel and VHB tape that would probably work if I were to do it over again. Google mounting methods for solar panels on RVs and you'll probably find it. I think it was posted by a guy named Tito?

Yes, I still take my generator along. It's a 1000 Watt Honda and I had to use it one time when camped in heavy shade at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

No, 300 Watts is not enough to run Air Conditioning or the refrigerator while camping, but it certainly helps keep the refrigerator running and the batteries charged when driving. I wanted the panels to keep the battery charged to operate the lights, water pump, fan, and sometimes the furnace when camping.

- Jack

JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:22 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
My solar installation is still working fine and I am happy with it. I wish, though, that I had worked out a way to mount the panels with an air gap between them and the roof so that they would run cooler. My understanding is that their efficiency goes down as temperatures rise. At the time though, since I wanted to use flexible panels (for the weight savings) and I didn't want to drill holes in the roof, there didn't seem a way to do this. However, I've seen a method on utube that uses a plastic corrugated sheet under the panel and VHB tape that would probably work if I were to do it over again. Google mounting methods for solar panels on RVs and you'll probably find it. I think it was posted by a guy named Tito?

- Jack
Here it is:

Old 07-07-2021, 10:46 AM   #104
Site Team

Yes, that's a good one - I like this approach even better. I think having a continuous mount down each side seems more secure.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:07 AM   #105

Default Thank you

You guys are awesome! Thank you so much for all your help!

Thanks,

Jes
vectorOverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 04:41 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Yes, that's a good one - I like this approach even better. I think having a continuous mount down each side seems more secure.

- Jack
I like it!