Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #1

Default No power inside/outside on AC?

Hi Everyone,

Second thread today, oh my!

My 71 Hi-Lo has a dead battery, not a huge deal, but I plugged the trailer in, and I get nothing for power from the AC, nothing at all.

So..... does the battery have to be in the circuit for the power to work?? I currently have it in place, but disconnected (was going to pull it and replace it, got side tracked...). If not, what else should I check before I start tracing the wiring?

Thanks!
MrC

1971 14' HiLo restore project
Call Sign KB1PMW
MrCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #2

Dont know much about those older vintage models---but on the newer ones there is a cord and plug on the inside that must be connected. Mine has a pigtail in the bathroom area that gets plugged into an outlet and that is how the AC gets power once my trailer 30amp cord is plugged into shore power. Unless they "hard wired" them back then I would look for a similar arrangement. When you lower the unit to travel- you must UNPLUG it before you lower it .

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
sam

Default Ac power cord

On our 1990 25ft. Classic our AC cord is pulled from the outside cubby and pluged into an outside outlet at the top of the driver side HiLo. Must have shore power.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #4

Default no power

My 78 has two breakers under sink for ac power
bob nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #5

I believe MrCoffee is talking about connecting the trailer to AC (120volt AC). ....... I'm not sure about your trailer but most trailers can run the twelve volt systems without the battery installed if it has a converter/ charger. Although on a HiLo you must have a charged and installed battery to operate the lift system.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #6

I would check the circuit breakers/fuses first.
Check for power to them, in and out.
Then do a continuity check. At switches also.
Start at the beginning and it will all come together.
Mine has a 12v converter/charger from 120v AC.

As RichR stated, you need a good, and charged, 12v battery to raise/lower your trlr.
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #7

Thanks everyone.

Well, before you check the breakers, etc etc etc, please make sure that your 200ft AC power cord is actually plugged in on the "shore" side. (DUH!). Plugged it in, shut the garage door, and of course the cord unplugged as I was dragging it to the trailer..... sigh. (decaffeinated moment I guess)

Have it plugged in, and the ONE AC outlet on the cabinet works, or at least the battery charger is trying to kick some life back into the 12 battery (which I still haven't gotten around to replacing).

Have no issue raising/lowering the unit with a set of jumpers off the truck.

Still no DC inside, not sure exactly why. (even with a good battery in place). I have as of yet to locate the AC/DC converter.... where ever they mounted the sucker, it is WELL hidden from view. Found a breaker box in the middle top cabinet.... one breaker, seems to be for the AC only... as far as I can tell.

Posting up another newbie question about propane, yippee

1971 14' HiLo restore project
Call Sign KB1PMW
MrCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #8

If there was an actual converter on that year trailer my guess is you could try to find it by following the ac power cord back. Usually they are combined with the charger. Mine is located in front under the couch/bed.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote