Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #1

Default No power to upper inside lights

Getting ready to take 1984 HiLo to Encinitas for camping trip. The UPPER lights/globes inside are not getting power... but bottom lights and above table/front of HiLo are fine... Cannot find break in wires etc...
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Allen Black
Centennial, CO

albretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:42 AM   #2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by albretired View Post
Getting ready to take 1984 HiLo to Encinitas for camping trip. The UPPER lights/globes inside are not getting power... but bottom lights and above table/front of HiLo are fine... Cannot find break in wires etc...
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Allen Black
Centennial, CO
Could the the upper lights be on a seperate fuse? Use a volt tester that lights up and you can prick the wire if needed to check for power. Trace the wire from the light back to the battery. Sorry, I don't know your wiring routing. Good luck

w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #3

If coasts sudgestion doesn't work take and remove a bulb from the lower lights and check in upper light unit.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #4

Somewhere the wires feed from the bottom of the trailer to the top. Find this flexable wire bundle (may be in a cloth cover as in my newer Hi-Lo) and inside this bundle you may have a break. In mine, there are plastic wire nuts that connect groups of wires together for distribution from bottom to top. For reference see:

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f51/...ry-wiring-116/
kengsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch

My 93 runs from the fuse block in the wardrobe up through a cloth covering behind the vent pipe in the bathroom.
I think that I've seen some that have a pigtail running outside up by the hitch. I'm not sure what all is in there though.
vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #6

Check the 12v fuse panel. My unit has 2 seperate fuses for the interior lights.
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:14 PM   #7

Default were is the fuse panel

I put in a new light bulb on the sink side of the rv and after which all the lights and the over the stove fan will not work. Is ther a fuse panel some were the brakers were not tripped?
I have a 1988 22ft funchaser
Thanks,
Brett
bubbaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch

My 93 bas a 12 volt fuse panel in the wardrobe
vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
sam

We have a 1990 Hi-Lo Classic and had the same electrical problem of no lights in the main top half of the lights.The Bathroom was okay.I consulted with the Hi-Lo dealer here's what I did: There was a broken wire somewhere in the bundle up to the top.I could not find the break,so I ran a new line from the converter box up into the top.I was able to tap in the upper cabinets.By drilling a small hole and lifting the bottom of the cabanet on the inside.the wires were spliced there for the light units.The wire is exposed and will be seen on the inside wall.This fixed the problem permanetly.The 12.6V fuses are located in the converter front.In our model it is under the couch/bed.I hope I explained it so that you can understand it and use this fix.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #10
sam

We used 3m cable clips to secure the wire to the inside wall.We have never

had an issue with the wire getting caught when raising or lowering the HiLo.
I was even found teal wire at autozone to match the wallpaper. Let us know if this repair solves the problem.Post if you need clarification on anything.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #11

We had the same thing happen with our Hi-Lo after changing a light bulb. Couldn't find what was wrong so we put the old blown out bulb back in and everything worked again. Found out that we needed a different bulb than what we had replaced it with. The bulbs looked the same but apparently the amp or something was different. Anyhow everything worked great after we went and got a different bulb.
DebW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #12

Check your old bulb and see if it had two contacts. Placing a single contact bulb in the socket will blow the fuse. I did that while helping my dealer friend.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #13
sam

Default Loss of upper lights in the trailer..

Re: loss of lights in the upper half of trailer.Check the converter for blown fuses.The converter in my 9O 25ft classic is located under the couch|bed.The
next step would to rewire.Look in the maintenance & repair section under electrical and read the two posts from sam on 1-19-2011. Keep us posted if this fixes the problem.Best of luck in your repair. Hi Lo 3 Niagara Falls,NY.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:23 AM   #14

Default Ground wire

I had this problem. I found a ground wire under the fron of the trailer that did not have a good connection. The ground was under a screw and when the screw was tightened the wire squeeezed out. Fixed that connection and everything worked.
Lisa

Lisa A Cromwell is offline   Reply With Quote