Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Las Cruces
Posts: 70
Default Power Draining Battery HELP!!!!!!

I don't understand what is wrong. I replaced the battery with a 27 series after thinking that the battery was bad. I have double checked to insure that I didn't leave the switch on. I checked and my meter only showed .56 volts last night. So I plugged in to power last night, and this morning it meter reads .26. There has to be a direct short somewhere. Any suggestions on where to start? We are schedule to leave on a long trip next week, so I'm stressing a lot!
__________________

__________________
2015 Tundra Limited, 5.7,
2004, HiLo, 2204t.
Jack
PapaRoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Las Cruces
Posts: 70
Default

I've check all the circuit breakers and fuses. I'm not sure what the converter looks like. Is this it below the circuit breakers & fuses?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6146.jpg (195.7 KB, 6 views)
__________________

__________________
2015 Tundra Limited, 5.7,
2004, HiLo, 2204t.
Jack
PapaRoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:41 AM   #3
Moderator
 
RichR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cooperstown, PA
Posts: 2,926
Default

The first thing I would check is the fridge turned on in the 12 volt mode. It pulls about 15 amps and drains a battery fairly quickly. Beyond that a possible short would be suspect. Is the fan running on the converter? It can run when the fridge is on 12 volts or if there is a heavy load on the battery of some sort. Have you tried charging the battery with an external charger? If the battery is good the charger should bring it back. There is the possibility that the battery is bad even thou it is new. Taking a battery to zero can also limit its life, never go below 12.5 volts(50%) before charging for maximum battery life. If you can get it back up take it to where you got it and have them test it.

Yes, that is the converter section at the bottom, if it is working you should see an increase in voltage at the battery when plugged into shore power. There is a fuse that protects the converter against reverse polarity.
__________________
My Great Wife Joyce
2010 2310H Hi-Lo
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Las Cruces
Posts: 70
Default

The fridge is a 2-way, gas or A/C. It was turned to A/C, but that shouldn't draw power from the battery, should it. I have also noticed that the converter fans have come on when I wasn't connected to A/C. I just checked the battery with the meter, and it's up to 3.8 volts. Maybe I got a bad battery, and need to take it back to Sam's Club.
__________________
2015 Tundra Limited, 5.7,
2004, HiLo, 2204t.
Jack
PapaRoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ruston, LA
Posts: 86
Default

I would think about the battery being bad as well. Have you tried to trickle charge it and just let it sit unplugged from everything to see what happens?
__________________
--
2000 24' Classic, "We have the technology, we must rebuild it"

Also in the garage, some stuff to pull it:
1988 r20 Suburban
1993 Roadmaster wagon
r67northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #6
Moderator
 
RichR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cooperstown, PA
Posts: 2,926
Default

If it's a two way fridge, there is probably no connection to the battery. The fans running that the converter is producing a large amount of current. Try unplugging the shore power and see if there is a reduction in voltage at the battery, then plug in to see if the voltage increases. If that happens the converter is putting out. Do you have another battery you could connect to see what it does? If it is properly charged you should see maybe 12.6 to 12.7 volts. Hooked to the converter the voltage should go up to 13.6 volts as the battery charges. I'm thinking a battery test is in order.
__________________
My Great Wife Joyce
2010 2310H Hi-Lo
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
JackandJanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pine, AZ
Posts: 2,355
Default

I think I would pull EVERY fuse to disable all of the DC circuits and then see if your battery will accept and hold a charge. If it does, you could then reinsert the fuses one at a time until you locate the circuit that is establishing the constant draw. Once you find that, you should be able to isolate the component that is the culprit.

I wonder if the problem is in the converter itself? It doesn't sound like a "short" to me, though. Just something that is putting a constant current draw on the battery. It wouldn't have to be all that large, either.

- Jack
__________________
Hi-Lo 1707T - Tire Minder TPMS on Tow Vehicle and Trailer, 300W Solar Battery Charger
2014 F150 Platinum 4x4 3.5L EcoBoost SCrew
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:38 PM   #8
Moderator
 
RichR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cooperstown, PA
Posts: 2,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I think I would pull EVERY fuse to disable all of the DC circuits and then see if your battery will accept and hold a charge. If it does, you could then reinsert the fuses one at a time until you locate the circuit that is establishing the constant draw. Once you find that, you should be able to isolate the component that is the culprit.

I wonder if the problem is in the converter itself? It doesn't sound like a "short" to me, though. Just something that is putting a constant current draw on the battery. It wouldn't have to be all that large, either.

- Jack
I agree with Jack.
__________________
My Great Wife Joyce
2010 2310H Hi-Lo
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:28 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 44
Default

Hi PapaRoe,
Your 0.56 and 0.26 VDC readings makes me question your readings. Although a direct short could completely drain a battery, there probably would be fuse protection of any high current drain.
Here's what I would do. First, using your same meter in the DC position, check a known good battery such as the one in your truck and see if it reads around 12.5 V. Then retest your RV battery. If you find those same RV battery results, under 1 VDC, disconnect the battery from the cables that go to everything in the RV and check the resistance on those cables (black for ground and res for positive) with the master switch (next to the raise/lower switch probably) in the off position. I think you should measure an open circuit or very nearly- several thousand ohms or no reading. Can someone confirm this? Next I would turn on the master switch, but without any lights or appliances turned on, and see if the resistance changes. Each light or 12 V appliance you turn on should reduce the resistance reading. If, with the master switch in off position or in the on position and no lights or 12V appliances turned on, and you read a low resistance like 5, 10, or 20 ohms or lower, then something is drawing current, and I'd have to study your electric circuit to see what it could be, possibly the hydraulic lift motor or the converter circuit.
The suggestion to remove all the fuses and then replace them one by one to isolate the circuit with a short is a good one. Again, when you read low resistance it indicates a "load" which could be a shorted circuit. When your meter shows no indication of resistance or thousands of ohms, it indicates a open circuit (or nearly so).
__________________
Doug Allen
Inman, SC
2017 Nissan Frontier and
1999 21' Hi Lo TowLite
Doug Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:39 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Las Cruces
Posts: 70
Default

I did check the battery on my truck this morning using the same meter on the same setting, and it read 12.7 volts. Then I checked the new 27 group that I installed on Saturday, and it was below 1 volt. I'm taking it to an highly recommended RV repair shop in the morning. I want this thing fixed now, and I'm getting ready to sell it after our trip.
__________________

__________________
2015 Tundra Limited, 5.7,
2004, HiLo, 2204t.
Jack
PapaRoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
HiLoTrailerForum.com Copyright 2010