Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #1

Default Trailer lights

I have a 1980 model hi lo and lost all trailer lights. I respliced connections that the last guy did and that didn't seem to help. They worked early last year but then quit and i can't figure what happened. What else can i look for? Is there an inline fuse or circuit breaker somewhere that i can check? Thanks Brian

briganz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
sam

Default loss of trailer lights

Did you loose just the inside lts? Did you loose the outside lts.?

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #3

Default Did you loose just the inside lts? Did you loose the outside lts.?

I just lost the outside lights. Tail lights turn signals running lamps brake lights and clearence lights. They are all gone. Everything worked but lost it all now and can't figure out why
Old 03-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
Site Team

I don't think THAT problem would be in your trailer. Have you checked the tow vehicle plug for voltage at the appropriate pins?

- Jack
Old 03-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I don't think THAT problem would be in your trailer. Have you checked the tow vehicle plug for voltage at the appropriate pins?

- Jack

Then go back to the terminal strip in the battery compartment and see if 12 volts is getting there. This would be a good time to find your owners manual and look at the diagrams for wire colors, etc.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #6

Definitely check your ground connection between the trailer and tow vehicle (TV).
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by briganz View Post
I just lost the outside lights. Tail lights turn signals running lamps brake lights and clearence lights. They are all gone. Everything worked but lost it all now and can't figure out why
It sounds like you lost your ground,the white wire. If everthing was lost at once. Trace back and check the connections.With the trailer disconnected from the TV use a OHM meter.Put one lead of the meter in the ground terminal of the pigtail cord of the trailer.The other lead(you will have to use a jumper or length of wire) and trace the white wire,checking if you a break in the curciut.With this lead you can check each connection or juction to see if you have an open curciut.You should always have a closed curciut when doing this test. At the battery/pump box there is a welded on stud to the frame that have some white ground wires to ground the trailer. Check if the wires are still connected,disconnect and clean. I had oxidation and a bad connection at this welded on stud, I even cut back a little wire, soldered on new connectors to make a good connection to the trailer. Also check each ground wire at each light back to your ground terminal on your pigtail of the trailer using the OHM meter.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #8

Default Thanks

Thanks guys for all your help. I'll let you know if i find the problem. I don't have an owners manual for it so i'm completely blind. Just have to have patience and i'm sure i'll figure it out. I know it's not my truck cause i can hook up to my other trailer and it works fine
Old 03-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #9

Here is a 1997 21ft Towlite manual that is posted on the forum.

The different models of Hi-Los didn't change much from year to year. This might help you.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...-towlite-1728/
Old 05-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #10

I have a 1989 Hi-Lo and I lost the brake lights and turn signals. We tested the wires and its not that. Does anyone know where I can get at Flasher Brake Relay, p/n 860504??
sjma2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjma2012 View Post
I have a 1989 Hi-Lo and I lost the brake lights and turn signals. We tested the wires and its not that. Does anyone know where I can get at Flasher Brake Relay, p/n 860504??
What did you use to check the wiring? Did you check the connections back by the tail lights? We had corroded connections behind the tail lights. Also, we had a bad ground connection near the Battery box where the white wire connects to the stud on the frame.

We are not sure what you mean by flasher brake relay.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #12

Sometimes it is as simple as spraying your trailer plug with a contact cleaner. I use P B Blaster. It is an all purpose spray (lubricant, contact cleaner, etc). The weather plays havoc with the plug pins. Good luck.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #13

Default Back-up Light and Side Light

We have a 1989 22' Hi-Lo Funchaser. Got all the lights working except 1 of our back up lights. Several lights were out and we opened up the front battery/hydraulic pump box and unscrewed all the connections. Took some light sandpaper and sanded all the metal connectors at the end of each wire and the metal connections on the little plastic box. Sprayed some WD-40 on the screw hole and tightened everything back in.

The large Reflect-O-Lite #1415 brake/back up light isn't working 100%. Only the brake light works. The back-up light isn't working on just that one side. The other back-up light is fine. We changed bulbs. We lightly sanded the connection points............nada. Will I have to replace that whole part or is there something else I need to check or do?

Here's a pic of the light:

Here's another question. That little red light right next to the brake/back up light is a #278 Reflect-O-Lite. When we have all our lights on at night, all the lights are visible. That light on both sides is not on. The only time these little lights come on is when I brake or turn on that turn signal. Otherwise, it stays unlit. My son-in-law says that little light is most likely wired into the larger brake/back up light.

Did the manufacturer intend to have these 2 smaller lights only working when braking and turning? I would think these lights would be used as running lights at night and visible.
89Hilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #14

I don't recall ever seeing a "marker/running light" mounted that low on any HiLo trailer from the factory. My opinion is the previous owner installed those lights as a safety item. The newer trailers have "wrap-around" taillights that serve this purpose.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Hilo View Post
...... Took some light sandpaper and sanded all the metal connectors at the end of each wire and the metal connections on the little plastic box. Sprayed some WD-40 on the screw hole and tightened everything back in.

The large Reflect-O-Lite #1415 brake/back up light isn't working 100%. ...... Will I have to replace that whole part or is there something else I need to check or do?
WD-40 will only work temporarily to keep corrosion at bay. You may want to put some dielectric grease (electrical contact grease) on the contacts the next time you are in that area. This is also good to use on the bulb contacts, and the trailer plug.

As far as the light fixture, I recommend that you first use a test light or volt meter to see what's going on. See if you are getting voltage across the light socket terminals (you can use the volt meter or tester on the light that is working properly on the other side of the trailer to see what is energized when). If you do not get voltage where you should, remove the fixture and test the wires going to it. If the previous owner tapped into the wires to add the side marker light, the problem may be where he spliced.

Also, I imagine that you already did this, but did you install a bulb that you know is good in the socket?

Good luck,

Raul

Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote