Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:23 AM   #1

Question 94 funlite 21

Have been searching and just can’t find a simple answer.
Are there drains in the ac for the roof condensate to drain it somewhere other than directly to the roof then down the side after pooling up? Seems to be draining the inside ok but don’t know where to, nothing coming from the bottom of the camper. I wold think there to be some sort of hose down to outside bottom. Where is it?

Hope so is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:51 AM   #2

Mine only drains out onto the roof of the RV. I seriously doubt that they'd go through the extra expense to run it anywhere else. Can you get on top and find the drain? I had my cover off last week and the drain is just a small outlet (not even a tube, but more like a little tray with the edges turned up in order to get the water just beyond the AC base, on the curb side of the RV. I don't think it was visible until I pulled the cover. I hope it's not leaking into your roof. But if you're in a humid area it's got to be going somewhere.

On a related note: I walked around my RV the other day and found a piece of 1/2" white plastic tubing lying on the ground under the refrigerator. I pulled the refrigerator outer panel and found that the tube was a piece of the refrigerator condensate drain tube. The line inside this compartment was still in good shape, but the piece on the ground was as brittle as glass and it had broken about halfway between the condensate drain outlet and the floor of the RV. I don't know how long the tube had been broken, but obviously, this tubing isn't made to last a lifetime. My guess is that exposure to indirect UV rays (under the floor of the trailer) had caused the deterioration. I ran to the hardware store and bought a couple feet of 1/2" ID vinyl tubing and replaced it. Just a caution to other owners..... you might check that drain tube on your trailer.

piperjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjim View Post
Mine only drains out onto the roof of the RV. I seriously doubt that they'd go through the extra expense to run it anywhere else. Can you get on top and find the drain? I had my cover off last week and the drain is just a small outlet (not even a tube, but more like a little tray with the edges turned up in order to get the water just beyond the AC base, on the curb side of the RV. I don't think it was visible until I pulled the cover. I hope it's not leaking into your roof. But if you're in a humid area it's got to be going somewhere.

On a related note: I walked around my RV the other day and found a piece of 1/2" white plastic tubing lying on the ground under the refrigerator. I pulled the refrigerator outer panel and found that the tube was a piece of the refrigerator condensate drain tube. The line inside this compartment was still in good shape, but the piece on the ground was as brittle as glass and it had broken about halfway between the condensate drain outlet and the floor of the RV. I don't know how long the tube had been broken, but obviously, this tubing isn't made to last a lifetime. My guess is that exposure to indirect UV rays (under the floor of the trailer) had caused the deterioration. I ran to the hardware store and bought a couple feet of 1/2" ID vinyl tubing and replaced it. Just a caution to other owners..... you might check that drain tube on your trailer.
Thankyou Piper. Was hopeful you weren’t going say that. Must be a drain on the inside though. I did have two airstreams and there was a hose on the inside that ran through the ceiing down the wall to the fridge drain area with two hoses coming out the bottom as you described. On them I believe the one for the outside drained from the outside unit through to the inside pan then to the drain there then out. Never any water running down the side. I know household window units do go directly out by the fan basically blowing it out.
Now is it safe to get on the top without damaging the roof to remove the cover and have a look see?
Old 06-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #4

I don't think you'll have any problem getting on the roof. I haven't and have been on mine several times. When I pulled my a/c cover last weekend, it broke into a dozen pieces. The UV light really worked on it, too. So, I was up a few days later putting on the new cover. So, I've been up and down on the roof several times recently.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
piperjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #5

After doing a web search there is or is not a drain kit installed which sounds like it goes to the roof through a tube and then located to drain wherever. I will be getting on top to remove cover for a good cleaning, will see then.My bet it’s not there. There MUST be a way the inside condensation to get out.
Since I saw no drain hose out the bottom guess I Better take the fridge cover and find that one. Sure better be one on that!
Thanks on to the next issue of the dry (wet) rot around the windows. Another Winter prodject coming I think.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:14 AM   #6

Hmm. Now I look for a drain on the refridgerator and don’t see one for that either.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:06 PM   #7
Site Team

Okay, things changed around from year to year, but A/C drains stayed much the same. With the top LOWERED, walk with care to the A/C, remove the four or more large headed screws and explore the innards of the A/C. Under the fins is a rather small "u" shaped channel that acts as a catch for the condensate (water). At the end of the "u" channel are the drains that empty onto the roof and runs off the top of the trailer. Usually at the worst place, like where your sitting. Depends on the the levelness of the trailer.
That U shaped channel should be CLEAN to allow flow to the drains, which must also be clean. The slightest amount of dirt or debris will cause the drains to clog and the U channel to fill thus,for water to drip freely into the trailer and usually follow the hold-down bolts.
NO drain tube to the bottom of the trailer. next case next.
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:24 PM   #8
Site Team

Refer drains are attached to the drip pan inside the refer, down and out the back where a tube (sometime black corrugated or plain old white) exits straight down under the trailer. These had a small mesh plug in the end of the tube.
Windows are covered pretty extensively under the "search" header at the top or utube.
Basically, with a saw-horse table and tools at the ready, you remove the screws on the window ring while a helper (or a 2X4) prevents the window from falling out. Rusted, stripped or broken screw are common and, of course need to be replaced. BOTH surfaces are cleaned of old sealant. New butyl tape applied to the trailer opening and the window reinstalled. wait a day or so for the butyl tape to ooze out, remove and apply Lexel caulk for a sealed finished look. More to all this depending on what you find after removing those windows. Rotten wood maybe, how much, local repair or a whole wall??? Or , a little damp and it dries out, reglue it, clamp it, your done.

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote