Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:51 PM   #1

Default AC Gremlin, any suggestions

Trials & tribulations of my AC; pardon if there is extraneous info here, but you never know what will give someone with more smarts than me an “ah-ha” moment. Here we go.

First trip out on with a newly purchased 2000 Hi-Lo. I know the AC worked when I bought it from the dealer. Plug into shore power and I think I heard the AC kick on then off. Anyhow, I have no AC. Moved to a second site in case it was the (shore) source power. Same result. Under cabinet lights are working. No AC = Head home.

The GFCI receptacle which the AC plugs into (near the bathroom closet) appears to be blown. Receptacle replaced. Still no AC. Test the receptacle with a small fan, and the receptacle does have power, as does the adjacent 110 receptacle.

I figured out the plug for the AC unit itself is damaged (note to self, unplug prior to lowering unit). Replace plug. Still no AC.

Try lots of things, including testing/replacing the battery. At this point I am not on shore power, battery only. Still no AC. Now, the receptacle(s) are no longer providing any power.

Couple of questions come to mind:

1. Does HiLo need to be on shore power for the AC to work at all?
2. Does the fact that the 110 receptacle(s) no longer work indicate that the converter may have fried? Assuming I am checking the correct device, the two (20 amp?) fuses were not blown.
3. Is there another connection somewhere that I failed to check? I am hoping that I am just overlooking something pretty obvious to everyone but me.

FYI -

A. I did check the circuit breakers and all seems well there.
B. The resettable fuse near the battery/hydraulics seems OK.
C. At all times I was able to get the basic under counter lighting to illuminate so I know some power is reaching inside the trailer.
D. I’m keeping the ‘master switch’ next to the raise/lower switch in the low position, though I have tried it in the up position as well.
E.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Kegan36604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:00 AM   #2
Site Team

Default A/C gremlin

Kegan, Yes the unit must have shore power to operate the A/C and any other 110v systems you have. 110v systems operate anytime you're hooked to shore power, regardless of switch position. (at least on mine!)
The master switch should be in the "up" position. The middle position is the "travel" position, that's power to the refer only. The "down" position is just that - raise and lower (also power to the refer).
110v only works when hooked to shore power. Also charges the batts.
There is a circuit breaker panel usually near the converter/charger. Cycle the A/C breaker to ensure it's set to on. In fact cycle ALL of them.
Check all GFCI outlets and reset if necessary.
After you've done the above, plugged to shore power, master switch in "up", top up, then check all you lights, fans, outlets, etc. This ensures you have power to all systems except 110v. With that small 110v fan you have, check all outlets to ensure you have power to them all. If everything is working, then go for the A/C.
Please note: I've read on this forum that, indeed, some units master switches ARE reversed (upside down). You can tell by which position allows you to raise and lower the top.
If you still have no power to the A/C, then troubleshoot the A/C. I start by plugging the A/C in to a suitable extension cord with at least 20 amps household current. Turn it on for a few seconds (about 10 secs), your just checking if you the A/C works. Prolonged use at low amp can hurt the A/C!
Sorry, but if your A/c "no worky", I'd call "the man". I'm lucky to have a marine A/C gent across the street. O course, you can just start with plugging in the A/C, but then you might discovery a faulty or tripped breaker.
Let us know you make out.
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:22 AM   #3

With exception of the A/C, microwave, the water heater and fridge in AC mode, all the interior lights, vent fans, water pump, and the furnace operate on twelve volts. Check the GFCI outlets and the converter to see if it is charging the battery.

The AC circuits do not depend on the converter. It only charges the battery and supplies 12 volts to the the 12 volt circuits in conjunction with the battery.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:31 AM   #4

Thanks RichR & TreeClimber for the fine advice. I'm up and running again.

Bottom line is the AC plug was damaged, which in turn damaged the GCFI receptacle. Add to that a first time owner of a 15 year old Hi-Lo and confusion reigned.
Kegan36604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:55 AM   #5
Site Team

Good for you! Glad things worked out. Some things may take a while to figure out, but we always have the forum to help us thru those sticky times.
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote