Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:09 AM   #1

Default Air Conditioner DOA

Hi all. I just purchased a 2009 22T and took it out this weekend for the first time. Everything works fine except the AC unit. Nothing works on it. It is a Duo-Therm by Dometic, 600 series Penguin. The unit calls for 115VAC, 60Hz, 1PH. I was hooked up to the RV park power which was 120VAC (not sure of freq. or phase). I tried resetting the circuit breaker which did not work.

Does anybody know if I need a fuse with this unit? I saw no mention of it in the manual.

Any suggestions of what may be wrong or how to troubleshoot? I'm a complete electrical novice so please be specific.

Thanks!

claucXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:45 AM   #2

Please don't take this offensively, but did you plug the A/C unit in in the back of the trailer? You have no fan, no nothing? Were you plugged into 30 amp service? I assume you are under warranty.

RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #3

claucXC -

RichR made a good point, I must admit that I made that very same mistake. However, assuming that the Air Conditioner was plugged in, plugging the Air conditioner directly into an extension cord (14AWG or larger), this will tell you if there is something wrong with the wiring that is feeding the AC unit thats causing the problem.

Neal
Old 04-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #4

Thanks for the input guys. I just tried plugging the trailer in at home and still nothing.

What do you mean by plugging the AC into the back of the trailer? I assumed the AC was pre-wired into the trailer electrical system. This system was connected to the RV park power, which was 120VAC and 30A if I recall correctly, with the heavy three pronged plug (or house adapter plug) - and again everything else was working. Is there a discrete plug for the AC? There is no mention of it in my manuals and I don't see anything on the interior or exterior.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #5

Update:

Just ran a multimeter across the romex AC cable where it leaves the circuit breaker and it read approx. 120V. Ran it across the same romex where it connects to the hot/cool dial on the AC and there was no reading.

Is there any connectors in between that may have come undone? This is the only 120V wire that goes to the roof, correct? I'm thinking the wire is either disconnected or kinked and shorted somewhere along the path to the roof - especially since the roof is retractable. Can anyone comment on access to this AC romex between the circuit breaker and the AC unit?

Thanks again,
Chris
Old 04-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #6

Default A/C

The a/c has a wire that plugs into a 110 v plug in the lower section. It supply elec to the a/c in the roof section that must be manualy pluged in after the roof is rased. Most of the time it is located in the rear bathroom behind a elec hatch that covers the cord. You have to rember to unplug the cord and put it back into its holder before you let the roof down or it will cause damage.
Sam
Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #7

I would be upset at my dealer if he didn't point that out. It is an important item to know about, especially when lowering the top. The 20 amp receptacle should be on the top back edge of the wardrobe cabinet in the bathroom almost across from the hatch where the A/C cord comes out.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:37 PM   #8

Thanks Sam. Since I'm not the original owner and I apparently missed that section on the DVD, I wasn't aware of the plug in the bathroom. Works like a charm!
Old 04-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #9

Great news!!
Old 05-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #10

The dealer I bought mine from never had a hi lo so he didn't know alot about them I found the plug while doing my look over at my camp. I plugged it in and the unit fan worked but no ac just pulled it back and dropped it off this am. Compressor isn't kicking in.

wv j
wvjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #11

Default a/c DOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjeepr View Post
The dealer I bought mine from never had a hi lo so he didn't know alot about them I found the plug while doing my look over at my camp. I plugged it in and the unit fan worked but no ac just pulled it back and dropped it off this am. Compressor isn't kicking in.

wv j
The problem is probly the compresser starter relay.
Sam
Old 05-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #12

sounds like a good guess Sam. The dealer is covering it since I just got it 1 month ago and didn't get my 30 amp service in til last weekend to try it. Hopefully quick fix and back to the river she goes. Is there a wiring diagram available for the ac and the rest of the systems? It is a Duo Therm on a 21FL 1994. Thanks

Harry
Old 05-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #13

wvjeepr -

I found an example wiring diagram, and a manual that shows the location of the relay. I've put both of them in our library. Here are the links.

Example wiring diagram:
http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f46/...m-313/#post877

Service manual with starter relay location (this may not be your model, but it should help):
http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f46/...00-series-312/

Neal
Old 05-11-2010, 08:02 PM   #14

Turns out mine had a few leaks in lines. The dealer says they were soldered and recharged the system. does this sound like a legitimate repair? I am an Auto Technician and never solder leaking a/c components just replace.

wv j
Old 05-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjeepr View Post
Turns out mine had a few leaks in lines. The dealer says they were soldered and recharged the system. does this sound like a legitimate repair? I am an Auto Technician and never solder leaking a/c components just replace.

wv j
This sounds like a legitimate repair.

In automotive, they use hoses with O-rings.

With roof mounted A/C units, the copper lines and components are brazed together with silversolder to withstand 500 psi.

If the finned copper coils develope a leak, this can be repaired using the same brazing technic.

LES 97' 21ft. towlite 06 Toyota Tocoma
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:08 AM   #16

Thanks for the info Les. sounds good to me as long as it is a legitimate repair and it keeps me cool I'm happy.

Harry
Old 05-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #17

ok now I'm not a happy camper. I went today after work and picked up the camper. Took it directly to my camp set it up leveled it pluged it in plugged in the plug in the bathroom turned the switch and nothing. I checked the GFI reset it. Checked the breaker box under the sofa bed. i'm at a loss. I took it in it blew warm air now I have nothing. I will be there at 9 am when they open tomorrow. I know they will make it right but I don't think I should have to tow it back they should make a service call.

Harry
Old 05-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #18

Took it back but no one there to work on it so the girl there called the owner and the mechanic who was at a show 30 min away talked to both of them and they were very nice offering to work on it when they returned Sat evening. The mechanic also said he thought it might be one of the wires had come loose up inside they had to jumper to make the compressor engage due to cool temps. Before I unhooked I decided to have a look so right in their parking lot I raised the Hi Lo and took the cover off traced the wires to the switch boxes and the one on the right as you are facing the panel that is the temp control I took the cover off of. Checked the wires in the wire nuts and the black (hot) wire was loose tightened it and put it all back together used an extension cord tried it and it works fine towed it back and set it up. Had a great night sleeping in the Funlite last night.

wv j
Old 05-17-2010, 07:04 AM   #19

Default a/c DOA

Glad to here you solved the problem and it was so minor.
Sam
Old 05-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #20

Getting good at "bugging" out with the Hi Lo that's for sure. hey things happen I was just glad they talked to me on the phone and told me what it possibly could be.

Harry