Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:09 PM   #1

Question Air conditioner will not run

Let me start by saying that I have a 2004 HILO 2804 Classic and just installed a brand new power distribution center. I have checked all of the breakers and all have 120vac. When the A/C didn't come on I checked to see if it was getting power. There is no power to the unit, but the A/C power source has 120vac. I started looking for a broken wire at this point. There is no continuity betwwen the A/C junction box and the breaker box. I disconnected the wires at the A/C unit and connected a pigtail in which I plugged into an outside source and the A/C came on and all functions worked fine. Now that leads me to believe that there is a break in the wiring and I have taken this camper apart trying to find it with no hope in sight. I would like to find out how the wiring is routed through the ceiling and to the electrical box if possible. If anyone has knowledge of the wiring on this unit, please contact me with all you have Thanks, Bob

BobandAngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:02 AM   #2

I had this same problem when I first got my 2288D. I trouble shot it for a couple hours looking for an open wire. It appeared that the feed for A/C is Romex and it goes from the unit straight to the male outlet on the side of the camper. Long story short I found out I had to plug it in with the female plug. Silly question, but is it plugged in? Happened to me.

Mike

2006 GMC Sierra Denali
Stroker920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:07 AM   #3

Are you talking about on the outside of the trailer?
Old 05-29-2016, 07:23 AM   #4

Yes, the cord with female plug that goes to the male outlet on the outside. If you indeed had it plugged in, unplug it and check the voltage at the plug. That will tell you where the open is.

Mike
2006 GMC Sierra Denali
Stroker920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:58 AM   #5

Hi Bob. Did you ever have the AC running before you installed the new power distribution box?
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:32 AM   #6

No, I just recently purchased it and was not able to hook it up and check everything. Previous owner is in Florida and trailer was in Michigan. The person dealt with there was not very nice, so I was not given much if any information and PO has been out deep sea fishing and no way to contact him. Now that I have said all of that, I found the cord for the air conditioner. It was not in the bathroom at all . It is on the bottom side of the cabinet in the bedroom and when I was in there checking wires, I failed to look up. Momma always told me when times are tough, just look up. I appreciate all of the responses I have gotten from everyone. I woke up this morning at 5 am with a clearer head than I went to bed with and thanks to Mike (Sroker920), put me on the right track and the determination paid off. Also want to thank motorpig2342 for all of the advise and pictures. Greg, I trusted the PO that all was good and actually was getting frustrated with the idea that I had allowed myself to be had, but all is well and I appreciate your response. I changed out the power distribution box due to 2 of the bus bar screws landing on the board and shorting it out, that is why I got so sidetracked thinking that it had possibly burned a wire into. Thanks to everyone and have a blessed day.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:30 PM   #7

Do not forget to unplug before lowering the camper.
ltblueblzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobandAngie View Post
I woke up this morning at 5 am with a clearer head than I went to bed with and thanks to Mike (Sroker920), put me on the right track and the determination paid off. Also want to thank motorpig2342 for all of the advise and pictures.
Its amazing how many problems can be figured out while laying in bed brainstorming or when you first wake up from a good nights sleep. I've woke up before and its litteraly like a light bulb being turned on, and went out and fixed the problem. Glad you got the help to help you figure it out. Lots of good knowledgeable folks in here...
motorpig2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #9

I have exact same issue (and morning clarity)...found the cord but don't know where to plug it in...mine looks like a 30amp male - is there an obvious spot to plug it in or did you use an adapter and an extension cord??? Thanks!
DenaliDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #10

I have exact same issue (and morning clarity)...found the cord but don't know where to plug it in...mine looks like a 30amp male - is there an obvious spot to plug it in or did you use an adapter and an extension cord??? Thanks!
Old 06-26-2016, 05:02 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenaliDon View Post
Denali - that sounds like your "Shore Power" cord. The thing you plug into a power pedestal at a campground with hookups.

It supplies A/C 110V power to the trailer and charges your battery.

- Jack
Old 06-26-2016, 06:28 PM   #12

Thanks JackandJanet...it's not my shore power - that one is black, heavier gauge and in an outside compartment (bigger amp plug too similar configuration but larger diameter). There are two air conditioners/with electronic heat. Neither works. The one in the bedroom looks more like a conventional fan with a compartment that should raise and lower like the bathroom fan... The grey cord (male) is stuffed into the forward side of the compartment over the head of the bed (transverse in this config). I figured it runs the bedroom unit, but then was wondering if it also supplies power for the big roof mounted unit...
Old 06-26-2016, 10:09 PM   #13

DenaliDon, I found the outlet for my air conditioner on the outside wall of the closet in the bedroom. It is on the wall just above where the top and bottom sections meet. Mine has a regular outlet and a single 20amp outlet for the A/C. I hope that helps you.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:36 AM   #14

Awesome - you are totally right... I had my mirror in my pocket to check this out next trip outside and then I saw your thread! Still no power to the bedroom AC/FAN/HEAT unit up top, and no clue what it is, but all is well...not that I need AC much in AK. While there, I found a previous owneer had done some repairs/wiring (incorrectly) and now have to mount that overhead cabinet properly....at least I found a leatherman micro up there :-)
Old 06-27-2016, 07:21 AM   #15

Check the GFCI where the unit plugs in, it may need reset. Also, check the breaker for the A/C at the breaker panel.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:10 AM   #16

Yes, RichR is correct. The outlet for the A/C is a GFCI so make sure it is reset. Another thing that I done before tearing into the wiring was to disconnect the wiring from the A/C unit itself and install a pigtail that I could plug into another outlet to see if the unit actually worked. It worked flawlessly so I started looking for a break and that is when I found the cord and outlet. Kind of embarrassing to admit, but it is working and I didn't do any damage to the camper while looking.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:44 PM   #17
sam

Default Airconditioner will not run.

So glad you solved your problem. The free advice from our helpful members is invaluable.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:49 PM   #18
Site Team

BobandAngie, that was brilliant of you to test the air conditioner with a direct power feed! I can't believe (now) the thought never occurred to me before you wrote about it in your post.

Good on you!

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:53 PM   #19

I guess it comes from years as an appliance repair tech
Old 03-27-2017, 02:45 PM   #20

Default ac and breaker box location

I have a 2004 22T and have not been able to get the ac working. In addition can anyone tell me where the breaker panel is located?

navypao is offline   Reply With Quote