Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:09 PM   #1

Default Blower - Blows, Vents - Vent, BUT Heater won't heat!

Spent a cold night in the mountains last night it turns out my heater is not.... well heating. The thermostat turns it on fine, the blower does come on, and air does come out of the vent but the air is not hot and outside where the heater vents it does not get hot either.

Propane works as I can lite my stove. Any ideas?

kg.

kgibso01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #2

Default Propane heater

There should be an igniter at the base of the propane heater. Make sure the propane tank gas valve is off and check to see if there is an obstruction like a wasp nest or other insect nest causing an obstruction. Look to see if any electrical wires are loose on the igniter. Use care here also if you attempt to reconnect any electrical wiring. Turn off all electrical circuits before any wiring attempts are made. If nothing is obvious and all fuses are good, then it is best to have an expert look at it.

sayhonkmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

Forgive my ignorance but I am a trailer rookie... or I should say a trailer furnace rookie.

When you say igniter is going to be like a lantern ignitor maybe a couple of wires with a little space between it to cause an arc?

Everything seems to be boxed in so i am not sure what I am looking for. If it were to lite and I have the outside panel off is it an open flame I would be able to see?

Thanks again for all your help.

kg.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:51 PM   #4

No luck went out quick to look and all seems to be wired correct and securely. And no insects or insect nests. Atwood Mobile products happens to be here in Salt Lake City I wonder if they will work with me directly.

Guess it is time to take it in for service.

Thanks again.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #5

Default heater problem..

Yes, it's probably the safest thing to do at this point to have a pro check it out.
sayhonkmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:37 PM   #6

Check the gas pressure, You should have a static gas pressure (with no appliances on) of 14" of water colum. With all the stove burners on and the water heater burner on, you should have 11" of water colum. If the heater does not have 11" of w.c., it will not fire up. The gas pressure regulator on your propane tanks will have to be replaced. You didn't say how old your trailer is. The gas pressure regulator last about 7 to 12 years. Also you didn't say if you had ignition spark, (sounds like a clicken sound). It should go through 3 trys. Reset the thermostat on try again. If no ignition spark check the sail switch.(tales the furnace of correct air pressure) Check voltage at the furnace, if you have low voltage the furnace wouldn't work correctly.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:23 PM   #7

located the sail switch and it is moving and clicking in and out of place just fine as the blower amps up or turns off. Still no clicking sound for the ignitor and I don't smell gas while it is running.

Is the sail switch a common piece to go bad?

kg.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgibso01 View Post
located the sail switch and it is moving and clicking in and out of place just fine as the blower amps up or turns off. Still no clicking sound for the ignitor and I don't smell gas while it is running.

Is the sail switch a common piece to go bad?

kg.
With the sail switch wires disconnected, with an OHM meter check the terminals to see if the contacts are closing. Reconnect the sail switch wires. Are you getting voltage at the ignitor when the heater is going through the heating cycle? Since the ignitor isn't clicking, you may have a bad ignitor or bad mother board. If the flame sensor (which is part of the ignitor) is bad, the gas valve will not open so you will not smell gas. Check the input voltage at the furnace and gas pressure. How old is your gas regulator?

w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote