Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #21
sam

Default Freezer door

My husband worked in shipping for several months and that is how his co. made a profit on items they shipped out. They jacked up the shipping prices. The law of supply and demand. sam

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:46 AM   #22

Thank you for this information. The spring rods appears to work great. The length I purchased was 18 to 21 inches long. Smallest the had. Think I will remove the hing housing to give a better fit.

city Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM L View Post
HI cptmoney
Before you write off fixing your freezer door you need to find out what broke. I had the same problem coming back from Alaska with a full freezer of halibut. Duct tape was a temp. fix. The part that broke on mine was the spring holders. This part is not attached to the door itself. My fridg is a dometic. I went to the dometic web site (Dometic.com) and downloaded the parts list. To remove the door take a flat blade screwdriver and at the hinge point pry the door toward the other hinge and the door will pop out. The spring holder and spring fit into the side of the fridg at that point. When you see the parts picture its easier to understand. The springs were ok just the holders broken. Ordered the parts left and right from Dometic $9.00 plus each from Dometic and got them in 3 days. Dometics ph# is 1-800-544-4881. Easy fix. Hope this helps and hope your door is not broken. Get back if you have any questions
When I checked the Dometic site several years ago, the springs and spring holders were about $31.00, which in my book, is highway (internet) robbery for a couple of small pieces of plastic and two small springs. The tension bar from Wallie World has been working great ever since, and we have gone from Southern Calif to Massachusetts twice since.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:53 PM   #24
sam

Default Getting refrigerator parts.

Quite a while ago I had to order the spring assembly on the interior freezer door. I ordered it from PPL Motor Homes in Texas. Very good customer service.The price was reasonable or else I wouldn't have ordered it. Not at my HiLo so I can't pull the paper work.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:04 PM   #25

Here's my solution &, IMO, what should have been fitted in the first place.

A couple of neodymium disc magnets with a right angled piece of tin OR just buy some magnetic cabinet latches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00482.jpg (73.9 KB, 9 views)
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:52 PM   #26

I used a piece for a double pane window, the spring loaded latch that allows the window to lean out for cleaning. pop riveted on top right corner of freezer door; marked the slider on the inside wall ; drilled 2 holes, dremel tooled between holes to make it a rectangle and voila!
kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:44 AM   #27
Site Team

Qwerty, that's a great idea! I'm guessing you're finding the neodymium magnets are not holding the door too tightly to open easily?

- Jack
Old 06-29-2018, 09:43 AM   #28

Jack, I slotted the right angled tin to make it adjustable but you're right, it initially pulled the door magnet from its glued position. Making it adjustable solved that.
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:09 PM   #29

We are ha ing the same problem. Our freezer door won't close. I have been reading the above comments and we'll try to fix it. It's almost as though the spring is working in reverse. When we open the refrigerator, the freezer door snaps down with force.
Thanks for any help and for the posted tips.

VJLarson is offline   Reply With Quote