Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #1

Default Can not find A/C cord

We just bought a 1989 Hi Lo Voyager and we are trying to figure everything out. We have most of all the manuals, and we did look, but we can not find the cord for the a/c. We found the outlet for it, but not the cord. We figure the cord should come out somewhere near the outlet, but I'll be darned if we can find it. ;(

We are going to have lots of questions!

Can anyone help us out with this? It may be staring us right in the face, and in that case, I'll come back and post with a red face...

B.

brainfogbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
sam

Default Finding Ac CORD

I have a 90 Classic. My AC cord is on the outside of the Rv on the drivers side. Directly below the receptacle that it plugs into. The cord should be stuffed into the trailer. Push the small white cover aside and pull out the AC cord. Hope this helps you.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
Site Team

There may be some confusion here. Are you asking about the Air Conditioning (A/C) power or the 110 Volt (AC) shore power cord?

If it's the shore power cord, it probably is on the lower left front of the trailer.

Finding the A/C power supply is a bit more problematic. In my trailer, it comes out of the bottom half in the bathroom and goes up along side the black water vent pipe to the roof. I think in older trailers, they had to be reconnected every time the top was raised (from what I've been reading). In mine, it just stays connected all the time.

- Jack
Old 08-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #4

In my '95 Towlite the plug is next to the sink on the back of the closet. The cord is above it in the upper half behind a hatch. I have to unplug and slide it back in to store it when I lower the top.
Ralph
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #5

Whew...we found it. It was on the outside drivers side. I never thought to look outside for it because I'd read to look in the bathroom for it. Both the cord and the outlet for the a/c are on the outside. It works, but it makes a heck of a noise and hubby is taking a look at it right now.

Thanks everyone.

Betty
brainfogbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
sam

Default Finding AC cord

I had a feeling that you would find the AC cord in the same spot as my 90 HiLo. Take the shroud off the AC on the roof. Our fan had cracked and it too was noisy. Parts aren't available. We opted to have our dealer install another AC unit. This gave us a warranty. The new unit is quieter and more energy effecient. We like the heat strip as it can take the chill out in the AM without having to run the furnace which uses propane. The heat strip is part of the Ac unit.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:23 PM   #7
sam

Default clarification AC unit

You pay extra $ to have the heat strip in your AC unit.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:49 AM   #8

Take the cover off and lub the fan and clean any wasp nest or dirt dobber nest out. If your cover is bad and the AC unit is still good, look for a used one. There are thousands of parked RVs around and there are RV salvage yards you can find online or ask RV dealers or camping world people if they know of any. If the top is cracked you can repair by using fiberglass cloth and ABS cement. Get the ABS cement at a hardware store an I find the black ABS cement to be better than the all purpose cement. Make most repairs on the backside. This repair works on any cracks on skirting on ABS components. If the repairs are made on the outside You can sand and paint. These are easy repairs. Good luck

2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote