Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #1

Default Caulking Brands You Like

I've seen in a couple places that some of you like clear Dap brand Silicone (which I like for other things) --however, it's not paintable. They do make a paintable silicone that I've used in my house, but have found it to shrink. Anyone use this?

Also our used camper we bought last year was obviously newly caulked and painted when we got it. We took it on the road and lots of cracks have appeared in the caulking. It's not loose though, just cracked. Should we remove it before caulking?

Also what about this Dyco (I think that's tne name?) brand of caulking - the one that stays rubbery-doesn't dry hard. Can you paint it? do you prefer silicone over this type?

You've always been a helpful bunch before....

Thanking you in advance,

Mary Kay

Mary Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Kay View Post
I've seen in a couple places that some of you like clear Dap brand Silicone (which I like for other things) --however, it's not paintable. They do make a paintable silicone that I've used in my house, but have found it to shrink. Anyone use this?

Also our used camper we bought last year was obviously newly caulked and painted when we got it. We took it on the road and lots of cracks have appeared in the caulking. It's not loose though, just cracked. Should we remove it before caulking?

Also what about this Dyco (I think that's tne name?) brand of caulking - the one that stays rubbery-doesn't dry hard. Can you paint it? do you prefer silicone over this type?

You've always been a helpful bunch before....

Thanking you in advance,

Mary Kay
You should always removed old caulk so you will get the adhesion of the new caulk. Lexel is great but a little high dollar and well worth it.

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
sam

Default Caulk

We used Lexel caulk exclusively in our renovation. It costs $8.00 a tube. It goes on in cold weather and is clear. This was recommended by a forum member in the heating air conditioning trade. Worth every penny and then some. We were able to get this at our ACE hardwear store or you can order it online. You pay for what you get. Forget about silicone it is all wrong for RV u"se. Just took my gimpy arm down to my basement to get the tube of Lexel. The Superior Alternative to Silicone. Sticks to wet surfices. Lexel gives good adhesion.elasticity and paintability. Lots of info. on the tube in small print. I would need a magnifing glass to give you all the info. Hope this helps. A case of a lot of work to scrape out the old caulk and reapply Lexel. This pays big dividends in the end. Not having to do a total restoration. Reseal your windows.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote