Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:36 PM   #1

Default Fridge replacement

I'm stuck! Literally. I have a 1984 Fun Chaser, did the research, made the choice to get a new fridge instead of fixing the old one. Now, I've torn apart the old one enough to slide it out through the hole it just left in the wall but can't tear my new one apart like that to get it in.

Is there an easier way to get the new fridge inside other than lifting it through the top half of the door? It's wider than the bottom half of the door and wider than the hole in the wall. The front face plate is the issue which is not only bolted but GLUED to the thing. Ugh!

JRihnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi and welcome! Is it still too wide if you take the lower door off? (Unscrew the hinges?)

- Jack

Old 04-21-2016, 11:27 PM   #3

It is. There's a lip on the trailer wall of the bottom part of the door which is attached to the frame of the camper. Not sure if that makes sense or not but wall to wall width across the bottom door is just not as wide as the top.
JRihnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:40 PM   #4

We bought a much larger one to go in ours. We took the vent off from the outside that vents the fridge.
lovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:49 PM   #5

When I rebuilt my fridg I had to lift it over the lower door/ in&out thru the top door for removal and installation. Also had the fridg door/hinges removed.
The fridg installs from the inside. If you go out the outside wall you will need to remove the exhaust venting, and gas line, you can remove it that way, but not the easiest.
Slides in with the front flange attached.

Rebuilding the fridg is not hard. Lots of different system checks that have to be made since it is 3 way.
My culprit was the ammonia coil/refrig unit. Cost was $400 for new, delivered.
It has been working very well for 4 years with no issues. Has been run on 12v, gas, and 120v, just like it was new.
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:04 PM   #6

How did this end?
Mine has a big window that also opens fully. I suspect it was opened originally and the fridge put through with help of a fork lift during construction.

marininn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, refrigerator