Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:01 AM   #1

Default Heater fan blows constantly.?

We just bought a HiLo 2806C in Canada and travelled to Florida for first trip for 2 months. The heater fan doesn't seem to turn off even when stat is not calling for heat. Is this normal? I know that furnace fans run on for a while to vent and cool but shouldn't it stop eventually? Thanks!

Grahammargison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:39 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi and welcome! Yes, your heater fan should not run constantly. Mine comes on a bit before the heater starts producing heat and then runs for a bit (to extract all the remaining heat) after the furnace fire goes out.

It's possible there's a fault in your thermostat. Several members have replaced the cheap mechanical OEM thermostat with an inexpensive, battery powered (digital?) one from Wall Mart. The replacement does a better job of holding the desired temperature too, which was their reason for the switch. You might try that as a possible solution. I think the brand name of the new thermostat is Honeywell. If you do a search in the forum, you should be able to find a few threads on this conversion.

- Jack

Old 01-26-2019, 07:18 PM   #3

Thanks, I'll try a new stat.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:47 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Make sure you get a non-programmable one.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:11 AM   #5

I seriously don't think it is the thermostat. All it does is switch the furnace on and off. If you disconnect the wires from the thermostat and the fan keeps running you will confirm that is not the problem. The control of the fan and heat is internal to the furnace controls. There could be a sticky switch or relay that is not allowing the fan to turn off or a control board malfunction. Question: While the fan continues to run does setting the temperature to a higher temp make the burner reignite?

Installing a digital thermostat is a good idea in any case.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:15 PM   #6
Site Team

I wondered about something in the furnace controls being at fault, Rich. But, I also know my home thermostat has an ON and AUTO setting for the fan. Thought his might have something like that too. I've never had to look into the furnace compartment in the trailer, so I don't know what's in there.

Thanks for letting him know where else to look!

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:09 PM   #7

Default Fixed

Hi All and thanks for the help. I used some electrical contact cleaner and cleaned all terminals and connectors and it fired right up AND the fan stopped running after a minute or so when heat was satisfied.
Graham.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:23 PM   #8
Site Team

THOSE are the best kind of fixes. Good on you! Glad you figured it out in spite of my non-helpful suggestion.

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan., furnace