Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #21

Correction to my previous post. The factory installed thermostats are made by Robertshaw Controls, not White-Rogers.

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #22

Smile Thermostat Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerssj View Post
I would like to know more about the conversion to the electronic thermostat. It sounds like a good idea, and I would like to try it. But I wonder if it is just a swap, or is there more to it?
I was finally able to remove the winter cover from our Hi-Lo and check out the wiring for the thermostat. My trailer has a three way switch located by the lift switch. When it is in the bottom and middle position, there is no power to the furnace. The only time there is power to the furnace and thermostat is when it is in the top position. I don't know when HI-LO started using this this switch, but it eliminates the need for adding a switch by the thermostat. Now I need to find a battery powered, heat only thermostat.

Thanks for all the information in the forum and happy camping this year to all.

rogerssj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerssj View Post
I was finally able to remove the winter cover from our Hi-Lo and check out the wiring for the thermostat. My trailer has a three way switch located by the lift switch. When it is in the bottom and middle position, there is no power to the furnace. The only time there is power to the furnace and thermostat is when it is in the top position. I don't know when HI-LO started using this this switch, but it eliminates the need for adding a switch by the thermostat. Now I need to find a battery powered, heat only thermostat.

Thanks for all the information in the forum and happy camping this year to all.
Take a look farther back in this post(page 2) I found a battery powered, heat only thermostat at grainger.com
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #24

Hi Roger,

Here is another option cut/pasted from a recent entry I made on a different thread: "I bought the Hunter Model 42995. It is really designed for heating or cooling, but will connect to a two wire 12 VDC control system. I just ignored the "cooling" switch position. This unit is non-programmable, but that didn't matter to me. Cost was around $20."

I purchased this model Hunter at Wall Mart, based on another HTF member's earlier recommendation. Its digital, has an off position, and needs two standard batteries (AA or AAA, don't remember which). I tried the thing during our first campout this past weekend. Worked great, maintained a steady temperature in the trailer, in spite of 30 mph winds and 40 deg. night temps. Another big plus... I set up a digital thermometer on the counter, and every time I checked, it was dead on with the thermostat setting! No more guessing like I had to do with the factory installed thermostat!

Haven't checked the grainger.com unit suggested by Les... for all I know they may be one in the same!

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #25

Default Replacement Thermostat

Well, it's done. I went to Wal-Mart and looked at both the Hunter and Honeywell units. I bought the Honeywell unit RTH111B. It uses 2 AAA batteries and does have settings for both heat and cooling. As mentioned before, you don't have to hook up the cooling as the instructions explain how to hook up with the two, red and white wires only. Works great and tells you on the display when heat is called for. All for under $20. I'm happy, now on to the next modification, the "Winegard Sensarpro TV Signal Meter" I'll let you know how that works out.
rogerssj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #26

Last week I installed a Honeywell thermostat that I purchased at Wal-mart for $23.96.
It is model # RTH221B. It is a (1) week programmable thermostat. It can have four different temperature settings per day. Those settings can be overridden if needed. It operates from two AAA batteries. It was very easy to install and it doesn’t need to be level.

The only drawback that I found was that it loses about four seconds per day and that was with new bunny batteries installed.

I sure am glad to say goodbye to the original thermostat.

1998 21TL
2005 Silverado
Thankful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #27

Default Furnance Repaired

I have a 97 towlite with a furnace that was mis-firing or not igniting on the first or second try. First there was low gas pressure, the propane regulator next to propane tank was bad, mine was 13 years old and they only last about 10 years. Next, I replacement the spark ignitor, mine was pitted and dirty with carbon. When they get old, they have a cooler spark and sometimes don't ignite the gas. An easy fix and now with no mis-firing.

w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote