Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:23 PM   #1

Default Hot water for only a few seconds.

I have a Hi Lo Towlite 17T with a stock atwood water heater.

It starts great on gas or electric.
It heats up no problem.
when i open a hot water tap i get hot water for only a few seconds then it runs cold. I have flushed it out several times. checked and cleaned all contacts and sensors. heated it up and drained it of lots and confirmed that it fills up with lots of hot water. but i just cant get it to run hot at the tap for more than a few seconds. ???

PappaPiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:29 PM   #2
Site Team

I wonder if you've got the winterizing valves set to bypass the water heater? These are two valves in the piping prior to the pump that may be on the rear side of the piping. Try turning them to the other position and see if that works.

Welcome to the forum!

- Jack

Old 07-23-2019, 10:10 AM   #3

Welcome PappaPiggy to the forum. In most cases the water lines at the water heater are shaped like the letter "H". Cold water in and hot water out, connected by the "bypass" line. Sounds like your bypass line valve is in the open position allowing cold water to mix with the hot water coming out of the heater. Make sure that valve is in the closed position. Hope this helps.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:26 PM   #4

In my system there is no valve in-between. I have t valves. And I have both of them open with the handle parallel with the pipes.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaPiggy View Post
In my system there is no valve in-between. I have t valves. And I have both of them open with the handle parallel with the pipes.
Had one t valve/3way...found that someone had removed handle and when they put it back on pointing wrong way..Had me stumped tell I totally removed valve and saw problem...
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:15 PM   #6

ill check that out.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:49 AM   #7

Default Hot water problem

If your trailer is equipped with an out door shower check to see that both valves are shut off and not just the hand wand if the valves were left open the cold water will run into the hot and cause it to run cold shortly after the hot is turned on
Just a thought
Carra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carra View Post
If your trailer is equipped with an out door shower check to see that both valves are shut off and not just the hand wand if the valves were left open the cold water will run into the hot and cause it to run cold shortly after the hot is turned on
Just a thought
been there before just forgot to mention...thx for thinking about that one
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:58 PM   #9

The same thing can happen with the inside shower valves.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:10 AM   #10

I’m stumped. All my valves are set right, I reversed them in many combinations and no better. My showers are shut off. I’m gonna take a clothes look on the weekend..
Old 07-26-2019, 09:40 AM   #11
Site Team

Pappa - if the hot water tank has hot water in it and you only get heated water briefly, then that water supply is not being fed to the pump. Something, and I bet it's a valve, is preventing that from happening. You have the same trailer I have, but you haven't told us its model year.

In mine, the two winterizing valves would probably cause your symptom if set wrong. Note: There are THREE valves there, one of them opens the line that is used to add antifreeze. It is on the front of the piping as viewed from inside the trailer looking under the couch. This one should be closed.

The other two are BEHIND the pipes and I think they should be set horizontally for normal use, vertically for winterizing, but I could have this backwards. In any case, they should be parallel. If one, or both of them are wrong, the hot water would not be delivered.

Have another look at this area.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Pappa - if the hot water tank has hot water in it and you only get heated water briefly, then that water supply is not being fed to the pump. Something, and I bet it's a valve, is preventing that from happening. You have the same trailer I have, but you haven't told us its model year.

In mine, the two winterizing valves would probably cause your symptom if set wrong. Note: There are THREE valves there, one of them opens the line that is used to add antifreeze. It is on the front of the piping as viewed from inside the trailer looking under the couch. This one should be closed.

The other two are BEHIND the pipes and I think they should be set horizontally for normal use, vertically for winterizing, but I could have this backwards. In any case, they should be parallel. If one, or both of them are wrong, the hot water would not be delivered.

Have another look at this area.

- Jack
Thank you Jack. it is a 2004 model. and i have the winterizing valve closed and the other two parallel. plenty of water comes out of the hot tap after that initial blast of hot water so i am getting flow.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:03 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaPiggy View Post
Thank you Jack. it is a 2004 model. and i have the winterizing valve closed and the other two parallel. plenty of water comes out of the hot tap after that initial blast of hot water so i am getting flow.
Yes, you WOULD get "flow" if the two valves were wrong, but it would be coming from the fresh water tank. Reverse those two "parallel" valves. And you can feel the pipes downstream from the valves to see what temp water is getting through. Since you have hot water at the start, one of them may be wrong. Possibly, yours should NOT be parallel?

If you can feel hot water in the pipe downstream of one of the valves, before you open a faucet, that valve should be correct. Try reversing the other one.

- Jack
Old 07-26-2019, 06:51 PM   #14

what seems strange to me is...
1) the water is heating.
2) all shower valves are shut.
3) the winterizing valve is shut.
4) cold water valve into the HWH is on/parallel.
5) hot water valve exiting the HWH is on/parallel.
6) when i open the hot water tap hot water comes out for a few second and then cold.

But what I think is strange is as the pump is pumping isn't it just pumping cold water through the HWH and right out the top hot water outlet?[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-26-2019, 06:53 PM   #15

ill check once more Jack thanks
Old 07-26-2019, 08:10 PM   #16

I got it! Jack you were right. The cold water valve must have been installed wrong so with it in the normal off position I get cold water just fine as well as a ton of hit water.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:11 PM   #17

Thats awsome good job
Carra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:48 PM   #18
Site Team

Yay! I'm so pleased you found the problem! Sorry I didn't think of a valve being installed wrong sooner.

One of the BIG advantages of a camping trailer over a tent is the availability of hot water. Enjoy it!

- Jack
Old 08-01-2019, 04:03 PM   #19

Default cold hotwater

In my 1990 model my access to the front of the HW heater and water lines, etc is up front under the couch/bed. Follow the water line for hot water as it comes out of the HW heater and if it is like my setup you will see a cold water line that runs into this HW line that supplies the hot water to your sinks. It has a valve that you can shut this off. Do not know the reason for this line running cold water into the new hot water supply, but shutting it off worked for me. I am sure there is a purpose but I did not try to over think it. I know that once I shut it off I have had extremely hot water out of my faucets on the last 4 or 5 trips and this is on the lowest possible setting on the HW heater itself.
Freddiefreeloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #20
Site Team

Don't remember where it was, but a few weeks ago there was a post about an on/off switch hidden right near the water heater for 120v. Mine has that switch and I just thought to take a pic. It shows the 12/2 wire coming in, goes to the switch then to the heater unit. Just an FYI.
Tree
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h2o.jpg (23.9 KB, 6 views)

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote