Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #1

Default Noise and vibration in AC

When I turned on the air conditioner in our 2201 Hi-Lo, it had a very loud thumping noise and a vibration that shook the whole trailer. The higher the fan speed the faster and louder the noise was.

Needless to say I thought the worst, but hoped for the best. It turned out to be a simple fix. Here's what I found and what I did to fix it.

* Turn off the power to the AC unit and unplug it.

* Use a ladder to access the roof and removed the 4 screws holding the cover of the AC unit, the cover lifts off.

* I figured it had something to do with the fan motor and while I was wiggling the shaft to check the bearings and spinning the fan I saw a huge "Dirt Dobbers" nest in the blades of the fan. This was causing the fan to be out of balance. I also found that the mounting bracket that attached the fan motor to the AC housing had a loose screw. The out of balance fan was causing the fan to "bounce" where the screw was loose thus producing the thumping noise and the vibration.

* Using a flat blade screw driver gently scrape all the dirt out of the blades.

* Tighten up the loose screw in the mounting bracket and check all the others careful not to over tighten and strip or break them.

* Using a garden hose I sprayed out the inside of the AC housing to wash out all of the dirt and while I was at it I sprayed off the condenser.

* The drain holes are small in the AC housing so I gave it 30 minutes to drain and dry out good and then checked to be sure there was no standing water in it and then I put the cover back on it.

* I plugged up the AC and turned it on and it ran smooth and quiet!

Neal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ladder.jpg (95.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Cover.jpg (94.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Open.jpg (92.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Dirt Dobber.jpg (92.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Loose Screw.jpg (92.9 KB, 35 views)

« - | Testing for leaks »