Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #1

Default Refrigerator knob stuck

The thermostat knob on the refrigerator in my trailer won't go all the way to off. Will this cause the unit to run all the time? It will turn until the number 2 shows and won't go any further. I don't want to break anything. Do I need to pull the refrigerator out and do something to the bottom or does the thermostat (if I can find one) need to be replaced? Seems like there's always something that needs to be done. I guess that's part of the price of going camping.
Also, does anyone know it the 1989 models had a fan behind the refrigerator?

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Bear

bearshrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #2

I can't help you with the knob problem but I believe if you have a factory installed fan for the fridge there would be a switch located on or near the cabinet. That's what later models have. You can always get one and install it, there are kits you can purchase.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearshrum View Post
The thermostat knob on the refrigerator in my trailer won't go all the way to off. Will this cause the unit to run all the time? It will turn until the number 2 shows and won't go any further. I don't want to break anything. Do I need to pull the refrigerator out and do something to the bottom or does the thermostat (if I can find one) need to be replaced? Seems like there's always something that needs to be done. I guess that's part of the price of going camping.
Also, does anyone know it the 1989 models had a fan behind the refrigerator?

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Bear
Bear,

A friend had a similar problem in a cab over and asked me to look at it. We had to pull the unit and as I recall, there was such a sludge buildup in those contacts that it was very difficult to turn. I believe he had a problem with moisture in that area over the years that caused it. It has been several years ago but it seems just general cleaning and lubrication was all that was necessary to put it back to normal.

Good luck,

jcurtis95
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
sam

Default Refrigerator problems

Bearshrum, The quickest and very reliable source of information would come from our HiLo dealer. Call Jay in parts at Mantelli trailer sales. 1-716-625-8877. Or try the service manager Steve Brandel or one of the RV technicians. On our 1990 25ft. Classic we had to replace the refrigerator and couldn't get a fan in the back of the REF. We just use a cube model the sits on the ref. shelf. Logic tells me that your ref. control is probably gummed up and dirty. Nothing that a good cleaning wouldn't cure. The question is how to get at it. Have your model # handy when you call Mantelli. Kep us posted.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #5

I have a 1987 funchaser and it doesnt have a fan on the refrigator...
paulsot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #6

I have a 1985 and it didn't have a rear fan when I bought it.
I had to replace the cooling unit in my frig and installed an 35mm low watt fan inside the frig and also a 120mm fan on the rear of unit to cool during operation.

WD-40 is a contact cleaner and would be the #1 thing I would use.

I suggest spraying liberally, letting sit for awhile, then hit it again and follow with compressed air. Turn the knob with out force to achieve some movement. The #2 may be caused by prior jamming and damage to the shaft.

kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote