Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:54 PM   #1

Default Use of Fan on DC for the Refrigerator While Traveling

I have a question which my husband and I cannot satisfactorily answer regarding the fan for recirculating air for the refrigerator while traveling on the road. We purchased this Hi-Lo new in 2009 with the fan operating independently of the three-way refrigerator. We are beginning to think there was not a lot of thought put into the practical application of this fan for recirculating and cooling air around the refrigerator while traveling. We all know that the top half of the Hi-Lo must be in the down position for traveling. However, when the top half of the Hi-Lo is down, the outside air intake vent is superimposed over the outside air out-take vent. How does this vent arrangement provide for efficient air circulation for the refrigerator? AND, this was a factory-installed system by people who were supposed to know more about this camper's configuration (and the reasoning for it) than we do!! Does anyone have some ideas? Otherwise, we are beginning to think this fan is useless.

Dee
Summerville, SC

Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Dee, the fan you are speaking of circulates air over the fins at the back outside of the refrigerator. This is where the heat picked up by the circulating ammonia is removed. The fan doesn't really move air "around" the refrigerator. With the top down, there is, as you noted, very poor circulation through convection and the fan makes up for that.

If the top is up, the fan provides additional circulation over those fins which helps cool the refrigerator under high ambient air temperature conditions. It does this, if on, regardless of the method used to power the refrigerator (DC/AC/gas).

The fan does not run (even if turned on) unless the temperature around the fins is high enough (I think the thermostat turns it on at 110 degrees). It's not needed below the "trigger" temperature. This keeps it from running, and draining the RV battery if the refrigerator is turned off, since the fins won't heat up.

Some people don't turn the fan on when camping unless the outside temperature is very high. I use ours anytime the refrigerator is on.

Have I answered your questions?

- Jack

Old 07-30-2015, 12:48 PM   #3

Jack, sorry it took so long to get back to you. So far, it has been a very busy summer. Indirectly, yes, you have answered my question. You have explained in more technical terms of refrigeration what I was attempting to say. I think we both agree that the air intake vent and hot air outtake vent overlapping each other while the Hi-Lo is in the travel mode is a deeply flawed configuration for the fan to do its work while in the travel mode. You were kind in saying that the practical application of the fan during travel mode was less efficient. It just seems that Hi-Lo could have come up with a better idea for air transfer and circulation during travel mode.

Yes, just as you do, we always keep the fan running, whether we are camping or traveling down the road, and the fan kicks in when the temperature rises to a certain level. I guess my concern is founded in the fact that these 3-way refrigerators are very expensive, and we do everything possible within reason to make sure it stays in great shape and has good longevity.

Jack, hope you and Janet are having a great summer.

Dee
Summerville, SC
Old 07-30-2015, 06:56 PM   #4
sam

Default Refrigerator fan

Just a thought. What if you bought an inexpensive cube fan from Camping world. This runs on batteries and could be used while traveling. Our is so "cheap" it doesn't hold it's square shape. DH wired it square and it does make a difference. Made in China!!
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Just a thought. What if you bought an inexpensive cube fan from Camping world. This runs on batteries and could be used while traveling. Our is so "cheap" it doesn't hold it's square shape. DH wired it square and it does make a difference. Made in China!!
Sam, this has nothing to do with the Hi-Lo factory-installed fan itself at the rear of the refrigerator (which kicks on automatically when the temperature rises at the rear of the refrigerator.). Within its limitations, the fan does what it is suppose to do. See Jacks' comments above regarding how the heat is created by the refrigerator and how you get rid of that heat on the back side of the refrigerator using the factory-installed fan. Only while in travel mode, the problem is the two vents in the Hi-Lo walls directly behind the refrigerator, one vent in the upper half of the camper for fresh air intake and one out-take vent in the lower half of the camper to expel hot air created by the refrigerator. When you bring down the upper half of the camper for travel, the two vents overlap. Therefore, each vent cannot do its respective job independently and efficiently while the camper is in travel mode. When the top half is raised and you are ready to camp, each vent does what it is supposed to do without interference from the other vent (and efficiently, I might add).

Dee
Old 07-31-2015, 06:26 AM   #6

Anything you can do to aid in cooling is good. The fridge is intended to be operating while in the down position only while in motion. Once you stop for more than a short time either turn it off or raise the top. It is important to have the fridge and its contents cooled well in advance of your departure. That goes a long ways toward keeping things cold. We often times turn the fridge off if we aren't going for more than three or four hours. Things keep cold.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:51 PM   #7
sam

Default Refrigerator fan on DC

Dee,Your reply to me was very rude and disrespectful. I was just trying to give you a solution to your problem. I assure you I do not have a comprehension problem. As Rich R. says anything you can do to aid in cooling.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote