Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:04 PM   #1

Default Water heater AC does not work

Hi y'all. My water heater has worked great for years on propane and/or AC, but recently the AC half stopped working. When I removed the heater I also discovered that the top water connection at the tank has been weeping. My RV is a 2807C with an Atwood GC6AA-10E water heater. I thoroughly cleaned out the tank and cleaned all the electrical connections. I unscrewed the weeping fitting and wrapped the threads with teflon tape before screwing it back in. After charging it from city water, I found it was still weeping, so I removed the fitting, removed the teflon tape, and coated the threads with pipe dope before screwing it all the way back in. It still weeps, and it's only the top fitting. Bottom one is OK. It only weeps a very small amount, and stains on the tank show it must have been doing this for awhile, but it seems to be evaporating off the tank because the floor under the tank is not wet, swollen, or stained. So first question is: is this normal? Now back to the AC heat issue. I checked the element; works fine when I apply voltage to it. I checked the relay. Works fine when I put 12V on it. Checked the yellow wire from the circuit board to the relay; good continuity and negligible resistance, but with system turned on got very low voltage (less than 1 V) at the relay end (not enough to activate the relay), even after cleaning the contacts. The fact that the heater works fine with propane tells me the ECO and the Thermostat must both be working. So it looks like the circuit board is the culprit. I called both my local RV dealers and both refused to test my circuit board for me unless I bring the RV in to them. Seems like they could have just put it on a board tester. I'd have gladly paid any reasonable testing fee. Anyway, I can burn a lot of propane for the price of a new circuit board, so I'm not going to replace it right now, but I sure would like to know for sure what's wrong before I buy a new board. If anyone out there has experience with these type problems I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks y'all.

Shagnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:09 AM   #2

Default Similar Problem

Shagnman I have the same hot water heater in my 2205TL. Mine will light the pilot on propane and run for 1-3 minuets and then shut off. Will not do anything on AC. I am going to call Atwood this morning. I am suspicious of the ECO thermostat. I have cleaned out the unit and there are no leaks. I will update here after talking with Atwood.

Mark2cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #3

Here is what Atwood just sent me. After reading your post again I believe you covered all these, just wanted to get this out in case anyone else might be having these problems.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SKM_754e18031609230.pdf (404.5 KB, 22 views)
Mark2cars is offline   Reply With Quote