Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:52 AM   #1

Default Water heater question

I have a 6 gallon Atwood water heater that was removed from another trailer several years back. It worked when it was removed but has been in a box in the shed for about 10 years. I only want to use the electric portion of the heater. Anyone know how I might be able to test it out of the trailer to see if it works? My trailer had a 4 gallon so to install the 6 I would have to enlarge the hole which I can do, but no point if the heater doesnt work. If it does work then I would have a completely electric hookup and I can remove the propane tanks.

misfit429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit429 View Post
I have a 6 gallon Atwood water heater that was removed from another trailer several years back. It worked when it was removed but has been in a box in the shed for about 10 years. I only want to use the electric portion of the heater. Anyone know how I might be able to test it out of the trailer to see if it works? My trailer had a 4 gallon so to install the 6 I would have to enlarge the hole which I can do, but no point if the heater doesnt work. If it does work then I would have a completely electric hookup and I can remove the propane tanks.
I am not an expert on water heaters, but my son and I had my Atwood 6 gal apart and out for leak repairs, so I would think you could do a bench test as long as you have the electrical panel that is in front of the tank when it is installed. My Atwood panel has two sensors that have to make contact with the tank when it is installed. Without those sensors touching the tank, the gas would not ignite and the electrical heater element would not operate.

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #3

Make sure the water heater is full of water before you apply power or you will burn out the elec heating element instantly. Will sound like a gun shot.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #4

Also, test it for leaks. Get plugs for the drain and outlet. Also, get a pipe thread to female hose connector. Install the adapter and drain plug. Connect a hose and fill it until the air is out. Plug the outlet and turn on the water again. Let it sit for a few minutes with city water pressure and see if it leaks. When you are done, check the relief valve by actuating it and letting it close. If the valve leaks, get another one at a hardware store. Make sure that you match the pressure and temperature ratings.

Be very careful around water and electricity. When you test the element you should not be touching the unit or wet. Plug it in to a GFCI outlet.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #5

Got it hooked up outside the trailer and the electric portion works great. That is the only part I want as I'm shooting for an all electric trailer. Now just have to cut the existing hole where 4 gallon heater was 3 inches wider and install it. Thanks everyone for the input on this subject.
misfit429 is offline   Reply With Quote