Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #1

Default Where to start....stove, heater, fridge.

I am working on the 71 Hi-Lo we picked up last year, and I just need to know what I have to repair/fix (i.e. lights, water damage and brakes so far) and looking at the appliances.

I have no (NONE, NADDA, NIX, ZIP) experience with repairing propane appliances, as a matter of fact, I am a bit scared of them. What I do know is that the person we bought the trailer from never used them, but he got the trailer with the understanding that they all worked. I have to rather rusty tanks on the front of the rig, neither is hooked up.

I don't have much info on them, basic operating info, but nothing that points to troubleshooting. I searched for makes/model numbers and didn't locate anything really all that useful.

That all being said, I am a fairly intelligent person (unless you ask my teenager, who by the way knows everything) and I want to learn about what I am working on, general repair, etc.

We were planning on repairing and using the Hi-Lo this year, but I think it may take longer then that (really limited time and funds this year).

Suggestions??
Thanks!
MrC

1971 14' HiLo restore project
Call Sign KB1PMW
MrCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #2

Since you don't know the condition or history of the two propane tanks take them to any store that exchanges full tanks for your empty tanks. Since the RV is 40 years old you might consider replacing the regulator and hoses. Find anyone with a RV and have them give you some help in checking out your appliances.

2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Jim, I am planning on replacing the tanks. The regulator and hoses look good, no cracks or rot that I can see, at least up front by the tanks, but that is a good suggestion. Should any RV dealer have those parts?

I had a friend swing by and take a look at the appliances, and he said.... ummmm... don't know, and he is fairly good with trailers, having owner a dozen or so. I would love to locate some service manuals/info, but I can't seem to find anything based on the part numbers.

Oh well, it is a "Hi-Lo" work weekend, since the smarter half is gone, and i have two teens to keep busy

Call Sign KB1PMW
Old 05-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #4

Most RV dealers or service locations like Camping World offer services for inspection of propane systems. Plus I think that service may give you an explanation of how the system or appliance works. So it might be beneficial to have your trailer inspected.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #5

Good idea/suggestion and I will do that... well as soon as I can tow my Hi-Lo to someplace....

Currently having Tow Rig issues, and while the SUV is getting repaired I was working on the Hi-Lo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaP View Post
Most RV dealers or service locations like Camping World offer services for inspection of propane systems. Plus I think that service may give you an explanation of how the system or appliance works. So it might be beneficial to have your trailer inspected.

Call Sign KB1PMW
Old 05-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
Site Team

If you can figure out the make and model number of your propane appliances, you might find owner's/installation/parts manuals for them online with a Google search.

- Jack
Old 05-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #7

You will probably have to replace the hoses that come from your tanks to comply with the new type tanks, and it would be a good idea to replace the regulator due to its age. Have an RV dealer do a pressure and leak test on your system. Your safety is foremost.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #8

Mr coffee
the 2 tanks will need to be replaced/exchanged for the newer style with a fill protector, $25 at Costco. They will not fill the tanks you have! New law from 12 years ago.
I have an older, 1985, hi-lo.
I have rebuilt my 3 way fridge, new water htr, replaced the stove.

My suggestion to you is to make the trlr safe for use, ie: tires, brakes, wdh hitch and controller. Now you can use it. And of course the lift system.

I read your bio, and you are smart enough to do all of the items necessary to make this doable.

Now, how much money are you willing to throw at this project. If unlimited is your answer. Take it to a dealer.
If not, the internet will find you most of the info needed. And then, WE collectively, can give you free advice.

Does it have a power cord? If so, plug it in and see what works. report back with findings!

I have no idea what your rv has for appliances. Toilet?, heater?, etc.

steve
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #9

Thanks again, everyone.

Ok, first off, I realized later, in reading the owners manual again, that I actually have NO operating instruction for the appliances at all. Nothing in the manual, except telling you to refer to the manufactures manuals, which I do not have.

The Fridge is an Admiral if I am reading the logo tag right, but it is so worn, that I can't be sure. But inside the fridge looks almost new, no cracks or fading, or anything like that. The back side looks good from what i can see of it. There are instruction inside the fridge, but not readable.

The furnace is a Coleman.

The unit has a toilet sink and shower in the bath area, but I haven't even looked at that end of thing yet.

No marking I can find yet on the stove/oven combo, but like the fridge, it is in really good shape. I hate to discard working appliances because I can't figure out how they work.

Thanks for the info (and nice comment about my ability). I don't mind tinkering, or having to work to rebuild this puppy, but things that go BOOM in a big way tend to make me cautious.

Call Sign KB1PMW
Old 05-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #10

If you can figure out how to remove the top from the range you may find a name or model number there.

Even though you should replace the old hoses to the LP tanks for safety, you should still be able to screw the old hoses to the new tanks. The tanks have internal left hand threads as well as the new type outside threads. I have a Coleman lamp post that has the old thread that works with the new tanks just fine.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #11

Most rv appliances work and operate the same way.
Just some different parts and manufacturers.

You need to do a WATER COLUMN pressure test first, on your gas pressure reg. valve and adjust to at least 12" water column, and I prefer 13". This step is the most over looked diagnostic procedure because most people don't know how easy it is to do. Do a google search for "water column adjustment". The center screw on the regulator, under the plastic top, is the adjusting screw. You hook the end of the wc test line to the input gas line under the burner top. This test will take you 30 minutes and cost $2.00 in clear tubing. Use water in tubing for test.

I was a certified gas man until just last year when I retired and this test is used to do a manometer test.

Gas can kill you, so do be careful! But not afraid. Do all gas work and testing in the open for venting of gases.

This pressure is needed to guarantee pressure even when several gas appliances are run at the same time. IE: furnace and stove plus refrig.
After you have ascertained you have enough pressure. Light the burners on, on the stove top. They should have a good strong blue color and burn clean.

For the stove just lift the top and check the under side where the burners are. There should be a man and ser. plate. Don't think you will be able to get much info on that old of a stove, nor parts.
Yours is even older than mine. No pilot light for top burners on mine.

To light the oven, OPEN the door, turn oven knob to lighting position and hold a lighter onto the thermocouple until your pilot stays lit. Then with the door open turn the oven heat knob to a setting that lights the flame bar.

kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote