Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #21

Thanks PopRitchie for sharing the pics - That looks identical to my Towlite - excpet I usually have red dirt on mine. It looks like a wonderful trip.

Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:40 AM   #22

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

It's a 9521T Hi-Lo. It was a very wonderful trip, something that I always wanted to do. It has had some of your red dirt on it also.

PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRichie77 View Post
It's a 9521T Hi-Lo. It was a very wonderful trip, something that I always wanted to do. It has had some of your red dirt on it also.
Thanks - my info plate was warn out so I was never quite sure of the model number. It is the right size for the 2 of us and I have been impressed with how well they are made. Did you get a lot of dust up inside? That has been an issue for us going down dirt or sandy roads.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #24

The actual model number if the lounge,bed is in the front is-- 215TL. If the dinette is in the front the model number is-- 215TD. There were two 21 ft Tow Lites in 1995.
Yes, we also got some dust. There is 2 to 3 inch gaps in the plastic strip at the bottom where the top seal contacts, they are at the sides of the glide rails. Your seal may be bad also. When traveling on dusty roads be sure the top vents are closed, if open they create a draft that will help suck the dust in.
We still have the 95 but also have a 2209 and it gets some dust inside also.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #25

Couch In the front - thanks. I hadn't thought of the vent drawing the dirt in. After this little trip below we stopped at a hardware store and bought the biggest foam pipe insulations tubes and placed them under the curtain holders next to the walls. It kept it most of the wind and some of the dust out. I cut a section to fit the door and wedge it in when we go to bed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic 038.jpg (90.2 KB, 29 views)
Old 10-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM L View Post
HI
We made the trip in 2009. Great trip. Glad to give any advice, prefer to talk on ph than type. Too much info. Email us at loghm@aol.com with your ph# and best time to call and I will call you. We plan to do the trip again next summer also. JIML
We're planning an Alaska trip in 2012. Wifey and I can't agree on the time frame to allow for the trip. How many weeks are needed to offer an "adequate" tour of the sites?
diddysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #27

No matter how much time you are able to be gone it will not be enough to see everything. We were in Canada and Alaska for aprox 7 1/2 weeks. The whole trip 9 1/2 weeks. Will go again and spend most of the summer there. Can help you with advice and preparations if you would like. If you would like to talk let me know and will email my phone #. We had planned to go back in 2012 but will put it off till 2013.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #28
sam

Default Getting dirt in the HiLo while going down the road

Our seal is bad and we don't seem to getdirt in while traveling down the road. We use grey foam tubing stuffed on the outside under the top half while at camp. Cheap insulation. We are slowly working on our 90 restoration. Maybe we will replace the seal in the spring if time permits.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:10 PM   #29

I use the foam too - I have had less trouble since then and have taken 2 tubes and interlocked them to form a wider seal on the worst of it.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #30

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if there were any updates on trips to Alaska since this last post? I want to go to Alaska on an extended stay next year as sort of a retirement trip or gift to myself; maybe up to 5 month stay. That is why I am considering purchasing a HiLo model around 21 ft. After a month or so it may just be me and the dog, if my wife flys home like she says she might!

I have the 2013 edition of the Milepost and study it all the time. From where I live it would be about a 3600 mile trip, one-way.

Any updates would be much appreciated!
Joe Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #31
sam

Default Trip to Alaska

I just received a beautiful 50 page booklet on Alaska in the mail. The website is NorthtoAlaska.com Mail a letter and request the booklet at NORTH to ALASKA Mail Fulfillment center Dept.#4604 P.O. Box 3728 Portland OR 97208-3728 USA Your plans sound like a good retirement present to yourself.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #32

No one who planned trips to Alaska for 2013 were able to make it?
Joe Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #33

When weather is permitting could you post a pic of the placement of the foam? Is this like pool noodles or pipe insulation? Thanks in advance
betty stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #34

Default Generator necessary?

We are headed for our first trip to Alaska from Memphis in May, maybe 8 weeks or so. Do any of you who have made the vacation wish that you had taken your generator along? Ours sits on a cargo platform inserted in the receiver/bumper on the rear of our 1998 24D. I would rather not fool with it
unless it comes in very, very handy. Thanks in advance for any input.
Jim and Brenda Uren in Memphis
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #35

We didn't have one when we went, but could have used one as we stayed in a lot of pullovers on the trip, also we camped a Valdez along the bay for easy Salmon fishing and there were no hookups. If you only stay in camp grounds with electric, then it is not needed.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
Old 12-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #36

Hi Jim. Sounds like a great trip. We have a 2006 Classic 25ft. We have taken many short trips but no long 1,000 mile or more trips yet, work and elderly parent. We want to travel from our home in Florida to the west coast but are concerned about the small frig. and limited storage. How did you deal with these issues?
Tks. for any advice you can provide
gmbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:07 AM   #37

Default Small fridge and traveling

GM, may I call you GM? We put 4800 miles on the Hi-Lo over Christmas school break and the size of the refrigerator was fine, but I couldn't get it to operate on gas so I rigged up an inverter under the hood and plugged it into the Excursion during the day while traveling. We are headed to the repair shop Wednesday morning. On a trip from Florida to California you have to remember what your mom told you many times: A place for everything and everything in its place. I probably don't have to tell you how many books, apps and websites there are out there to help you find a site along the way. We joined Good Sam for a year, bought the app for our iphone to tell us which Wal-Marts and Sams you are welcome to stay at, and also bought the book "Corps of Engineers Camping areas." We have welded/bolted a receiver on the bumper of our unit to hold a carry rack like you see on the highway. It holds our generator, spare fuel and a large cooler. We are still new at this and find that we generally take too much of one thing (clothes) and not enough other things (odd cooking utensils) If I might help in any way, maybe answer any questions, just drop me an email.
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #38

Hi JIM; On our trip to Alaska we took a 2000W gen but never used it. If you like to dry camp then take it. On the Alaska highway in Canada and Alaska you can pull over anywhere and spend the night. There are many wide pullovers along the road. There are also many provincial parks in Canada along the highway. Cheap to stay in. The RV parks along the way are reasonable to stay in. One thing to be aware of, if there is a heavy snow pack, the run-off in May can be very heavy. This can cause washouts on the road and the road can be closed for 1 to several days in places. If you have the time you should come to the rally in Colorado Springs in early June and then on to Alaska. We are going to the rally and still thinking about going on to Alaska again. Once you make the drive you will figure out what you want to see the next time. You will find the drive in Canada to be beautiful. Take as much time for the trip as you can. If you would like more info get back with us. The size of the fridg along with a medium size cooler worked just fine.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:10 PM   #39

We were in Alaska the month of July, Anchorage and Fairbanks were warm, they are in the interior. When we stayed in Valdez the temp was rarely in the 70tys, mostly 65 to 70, we wore jackets all the time. We also needed jackets in Denali Park. I think May could be quite cold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0446.jpg (91.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0460.jpg (87.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0455.jpg (86.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0333.jpg (93.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0319.jpg (98.1 KB, 19 views)
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
Old 01-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #40

They are usually still clearing the snow from the roads in Denali in May. I get updates from Denali on Facebook.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote